Monday, November 12, 2007

Dustin's Day

Today, Monday November 12th, is the day the American League Rookie of the Year Award is handed out, and I can't think of anyone more deserving than our second baseman, Dustin Pedroia. Not only did he have a tremendous year at the plate after an awful start when people were calling for his head on a platter, he provided the defense at second base that is a requirement for any world championship team. And he did it with a broken hamate bone in his left hand for the last few months of the season. Hitting coach Dave Magadan had this to say about our pint-sized bundle of talent....

"He’s just got so much intestinal fortitude. He’s got a driving force inside him. Whether it’s always being told he was too little to play, or that he can’t play, he has had to always prove people wrong. The injury probably goes along those same lines: ‘I’m not going to let this thing beat me and make me suffer.’ He’s just fun to be around.”

Peter here, and Dustin never let us down. In fact, as the season progressed, month by month, Pedroia's batting average soared. He will be a fixture at second base for the Boston Red Sox for many years to come. And I couldn't be happier.

This is from the Boston Herald, as we are on the eve of the deadline for exclusive talks with Mike Lowell and his agents, the Levinson brothers. My comments will follow.....

"With their exclusive negotiating rights set to expire at midnight, the Red Sox [team stats] continued to work with Mike Lowell’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, in hopes of reaching an agreement before the deadline.
Following yesterday’s talks, both sides understand that Lowell will certainly be able to garner more money from teams such as the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies or Los Angeles Angels than he would from the Red Sox.
The question that continues to linger is how much the 33-year-old third baseman is willing to leave on the table in order to remain with the Sox."

Peter here, and I can tell you this, my Constant Readers. No one would want to leave THAT much money on the table after being offered a paltry and sure to be rejected $12 million per year for three years. Either the Red Sox knew that the offer was one sure to be rejected, or they have something else up their nefarious sleeves. To me, the offer was a pure and simple INSULT!

Click on the title of this post for the entire Rob Bradford Boston Herald article on Dustin Pedroia, soon destined for glory. Really soon! And that makes me so proud.

6 Comments:

At 11/12/2007 12:11 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

I find it ironic that they pass out the rookie of the year award on the day we celebrate as Veterans Day.

 
At 11/12/2007 4:33 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Congrats to Pedro! Now get that hand healed and come back even better next year.

I've got a bad feeling about it taking so long to re-sign Mike. I'm afraid it's a Plan B that is up Theo's "nefarious sleeve"; but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

 
At 11/12/2007 5:15 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're right, Sul. Mybe MLB thought Veteran's Day was yesterday. Great to hear from you.
And you too, BFW. It took me a minute to translate Pedro to Pedroia. but YES! And it was the proverbial landslide!!

 
At 11/12/2007 5:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The sun is down and Lowell hasn't signed. I think the negogation talk is just keeping the fans busy with hope. If Lowell hasn't signed yet, I got a feeling he won't until other offers are stated. Really how many last minute signings have been done. Maybe we have a great rookie third baseman to go with Pedroia and Ellsbury. Forget A Rod I don't want him.

 
At 11/12/2007 10:22 PM, Blogger APODionysus said...

We don't christopher.

Kiss '08 goodbye withotu Lowell. I'm gonna go vomit.

 
At 11/13/2007 6:52 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks Christopher.....I included the sad (for now) Mikey news in my Tuesday too early morning post. And Dionysus, don't write off '08---we'll be better in every way, everyday of next season. Mark my words! We don't know who will be manning the hot corner, but I have to believe the front office has SOMETHING in mind with such an insulting three year $36 million offer to the World Series MVP. Keep the faith....that's what's important.
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm always on every morning, with new posts before 7 AM, and breaking Sox news posts whenever they happen (or whenever I hear about them!).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home