Saturday, November 10, 2007

Johan Santana To Sox? No Way, No How!

I had a good laugh this morning, and I wanted to share it with you. My newspaper carrier, who's a nice guy AND a Red Sox fan, told me that he was listening to New York City's all sports radio station, WFAN, and they were interviewing some kind of baseball expert. After Brian (my paper guy) told me what that person had to say, I seriously doubted he's any kind of baseball expert at all. In fact, I mentally checked the calender to make sure it wasn't April Fool's Day. The fact that this absurdity was on a NYC radio station was not lost on me, either. Here goes....he (the "expert") said that the Sox were frontrunners in the quest to land Johan Santana, the great lefty. He said that the Sox, to make room for Santana, were said to be ready to trade Jon Lester and (get this!) Clay Buchholz to make room for him. At first, I couldn't speak (it was early!), and what came out of my mouth was a laugh, a rather loud one for 5:30AM in the morning. Then I explained to Brian that the Sox are chock full of starters and not in a million zillion years would they trade a future superstar like Buchholz, or a lefty with such a promising future like Jon. But Brian was adamant that that was what the "expert" said. I told him that if that nonsense came to pass, I would GIVE him my computer, it would rain money and I'd turn into a frog. In THAT order! Puh-leeze!! I could use the money, but IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! I wish I had heard what Brian heard, just for the giggles. Talk about something that makes absolutely no sense! Jeez!!

Ok, back to reality. I guess we have to. But have you ever heard something THAT ridiculous? Phew! The Mike Lowell waiting and watching fest continues, and I really hope something comes down over the weekend or on Monday, because after that Mikey and his Levinson brother agents can talk to ANY team. I am confident that Mike, if he wants to stay in Boston as much as he says he does, will take the three years guaranteed ($42 to $45 million) and be his wonderful self, patrolling the hot corner and batting in the all-important fifth spot. I just KNOW it. I've been wrong before, but not this time. Please!

Click on the title of this post for a Boston Herald article from today all about Dustin Pedroia, his search for a Boston home and his hopes that Mike Lowell will come back to HIS team, the World Champion best in the world Boston Red Sox. Hey, thanks for being here. I hope you enjoyed the Santana nonsense, and I'd love to read your comments about it. Have a wonderful and safe weekend. I'll be here, bright and early, every day. Count on me as much as I count on you. RED SOX FOREVER!

5 Comments:

At 11/10/2007 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Peter, but I'd give up either of those "future" superstarts for one of the top three pitchers in the game. Johan Santanas don't come along that often.

 
At 11/11/2007 5:41 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

But both? That's what the radio guy said. I think Clay is as close to untouchable as anyone could get. Anyone! Thanks MCW...hope you are well.

 
At 11/11/2007 7:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And now I know that the Sox only offered Mike $36 million for the three years....ridiculous!!!

 
At 11/11/2007 8:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe not both...but I could certainly see packaging one of them, Coco Crisp and another blue chip farm prospect for him. That would be fair.

 
At 11/13/2007 6:30 PM, Blogger HachiCachi said...

Peter the truth is that Santana wearing a "B" on his cap for the next few years has much more significance NOW than anything Buchholz may do in the future. To be able to start a weekend series in the Bronx with Beckett and Santana, would be a devastating one-two punch. Plus, with Schilling back, Dice-K settled in, and Lester coming in to his own, it just makes sense. I can't vouch for you paper boy, but I would gladly give Buchholz, Justin Masterson, and Michael Bowden to the Twinkies for Santana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home