Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Untouchables

The Untouchables. And I'm not talking about the 1950s television show or the recent movie. I'm talking about the two Boston Red Sox players who can not, should not or WILL not be traded for Johan Santana-Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury. I read an article in the Boston Herald this morning, penned by Steve Buckley, and that was his point exactly. Here's a little taste of it.....

"To make this trade (Santana) happen, I would sadly part with Lester, who will always be an inspiration to us all. I would part with Buchholz, who very likely will emerge as a top pitcher down the road. As for some other very talented kids in the system - Brandon Moss and Justin Masterson, to name a couple - they, too, could be used in a deal for Santana.
But Pedroia and Ellsbury must remain with the Red Sox, and for a long, long, long, long time. Look, it’s not just the numbers, even though the numbers are impressive. And it’s not just that Ellsbury has already made some great grabs in the outfield, or that Pedroia has good range and is deadly on the pivot."

Peter here. "A long, long, long, long time" sounds exactly right to me. I agree one hundred percent. I was clamoring for the Sox to put Buchholz on that "untouchable" list, if there is such a thing, but I have changed my tune. Slightly. Sadly, Lester and Coco Crisp are as good as gone if the Sox enter into any serious discussions with the Twinkies. And if it will take the addition of Clay Buchholz to make this happen, then the Sox will have to do it. But Pedroia and/or Ellsbury? They will be major league superstars for many years to come, and they are so untradable that the Sox shouldn't even let rumors begin to swirl. Heck, they shouldn't even ALLOW the Twins to include their names in any trade discussions of any kind. TABOO! Forget about it!!! Our second baseman and centerfielder are going absolutely NOWHERE!!!!!! And I think with every fiber of my baseball being that that is the case. So we needn't worry. Will it hurt to lose Buchholz, Lester or Crisp? Oh yeah, especially somone like Clay who has such an unlimited potential. But Dustin and Jacoby are and will be Red Sox players for as long as they want to be, and we aren't including them in ANY trade talk with ANYONE! End of discussion. Case closed. The defense rests, your Honor.

Click on the title of this post for the entire Steve Buckley article....I'm sure you will enjoy it. And then leave me a comment. Maine Catwoman has already expressed her opinion in the comment section of the previous post. She reminded me that NO ONE is "untouchable." And I KNOW that, but Pedroia and Ellsbury define the meaning of that exact word.

Have a wonderful Saturday....it IS Saturday, but because of the long holiday weekend, it has seemed like Sunday since the moment I opened my eyes and crawled out of bed. And that's a good thing! Be happy, be well, and thanks, as always, for being here.

9 Comments:

At 11/24/2007 8:54 AM, Blogger s1c said...

Well Baseball Musings is saying that Santana has turnded down a 5 year 93 mil offer from the Twins. The sticking point is the Johan wants seven years. I think that pretty much kills the Red Sox interest. As for the untouchables, Pedrois, Ellsbury and Buchholz. The rest can go and do not let the door hit them on the way out!

 
At 11/24/2007 11:10 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

s1c-----I so agree with having Clay on that Untouchable list......he'll be in his prime seven years from now!!! Thank you!!!! I hope your holiday weekend has been great, and it's only Saturday. And that's so great! It has seemed like Sunday since I woke up. Bye--Peter
Or, another way of putting your closing line is something like this....
"Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you!"

 
At 11/24/2007 1:10 PM, Blogger laura said...

I don't think Theo would do it. At least, I hope I hope I hope he won't give away my 2 favorite players! No, he won't..he can't...he wouldn't...

 
At 11/24/2007 2:02 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Laura. I have a three part answer for you. He won't, he can't, he would NEVER!
I hope I made sense...sometimes I don't. But this time? Maybe!?

 
At 11/24/2007 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter, I don't see Pedroia involved in any trade talks this year, but there's certainly a fair chance that Ellsbury will be traded, Steve Buckley notwithstanding. Especially if the Rangers dangle Saltalamacchia in front of the Sox. Certainly a far greater chance of him going than Buchholz.

It's just the nature of the business. Outfielders are much easier to come by than pitchers or catchers, and the Red Sox are right now staring down a black hole after Tek goes-which may be as soon as 2009.

 
At 11/24/2007 2:27 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi MCW..I think there is NO chance of him going anywhere, until old age becoms a factor...have a great Saturday@!

 
At 11/24/2007 2:36 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I might, and will, explain myself. Jacoby is as untouchable as Peds. Don'tcha think?
Have a great Saturday........P

 
At 11/24/2007 2:44 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

MCW, if they (Peds and Jacoby) are dangled ANYWHERE, I would be more than surprised, I'd be shocked!
Time will tell...I hate to say I'm right, but I just know I am. Santana be damned....no one is worth Peds and Ells. But no one knows what the future will hold...all I know is what has already happened....for now. They are as safe as a light blue robin's egg while being nursed to life by Mama Robin! BYE, for now!

 
At 11/25/2007 7:53 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And look the subject for my Sunday post! Santana and who NOT to give up, yet again. Have a great Sunday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home