Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Odd Couple? Maybe. Rivals? Oh Yes

Who, you might be asking? Why, the New York Yankees' Brian Cashman and Theo Epstein of the Boston Red Sox. One month after the pair appeared in Boston for a Q & A session, they were together again, in Wayne, New Jersey. It seems like the two get along in the off season, to a degree, when the wheeling and dealing puts them at opposite ends of the spectrum. This is from Sports illustrated dot com, and then I'll be back with a comment...

I deal with all 28 teams," the Yankees' Cashman said with a wink when asked about his negotiating strategy, pointedly leaving out the 29th team, Boston. "Then, when I'm about to hang up with the 28th team, I say, 'Hey, do you know what Boston's up to?'"
During a session with reporters before the (Wayne, N.J.) event, Epstein brushed off a question about Boston's interest in Minnesota left-hander Johan Santana and refused to make any predictions for the upcoming season.
"We're just trying to build a team that can compete in the toughest division in baseball," he said. "Baseball's a long season and it's fairly humbling, and once you start that kind of talk, bad things can happen."
Cashman wasn't nearly as reluctant to anoint the Red Sox the team to beat.
"Until someone takes that away from them, they'll have that swagger," he said. "When they step on the field in spring training, they'll know what they can do because they've done it. That's important."

Peter here, and thank you, Brian, for your kind and accurate words about that world championship team from Beantown. The one I love. Just because you work for a Steinbrenner and your players wear pinstripes does not make you a bad person. Not at all. And baseball fans nationwide know that you are smarter than Sir George when it comes to logical thinking during trade decisions or free agent signings. For that I respect you, and I think the "Bombers" would be lost without you. They might be lost anyways, but it's too early to take out my crystal ball, which is actually plastic, and fortell what will happen in this upcoming 2008 season.

My Constant Readers, have a wonderful Saturday and a great football-less Sunday. The Pats need the extra week because Tom Brady hasn't been seen in practice OR the locker room the last couple of days. But do not worry. As Lisa said, and I agreed with her, I do hope he stays away from the clubs and their dance floors. Good point, Lisa.

I linked the entire SI dot com article...just click on the title of this post. Your comments are always welcome, and will always be answered, especially in these lean off season blog times. But I'll be here. Everyday. If I have nothing to write about, well, I'll find something. That's a promise to you. And as always, BE WELL.

7 Comments:

At 1/26/2008 11:15 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Oh, I don't know, Peter. I figure pinstripes definitely make someone a bad person.

You asked about the World Series DVD quality. Not very good. I watched game 5 of the ALCS last night. It didn't look like a DVD; it looked like an analog TV broadcast. And hey, I thought you could turn McCarver's voice off and opt for Remy, or is that only in the World Series DVDs? Haven't gotten to them yet.

Jeez that was a tense game (Game 5). Everything on the line and it looked like it all might be over that night. I think acid ate away my stomach lining by the third inning the first time I watched it. And Youk was great. I'd almost forgotten how he played in that game.

Anyway, thanks for writing every day, P.

 
At 1/26/2008 2:44 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

If it's in the same boxed set...I think. But I'm not sure...DVDs are all anolog, no matter what they say on the box, until they unify the DVD hi def standards. Sony Blue-Ray will win. They are already, big! Have a great Saturday, and YOU'RE WELCOME! I love this! I always find something to write about. Or I try. Peter

 
At 1/26/2008 4:33 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Hi Peter! Thanks for the link for a Google account--it worked!

As for the comments above, I think the quality is good enough, but maybe that's because I don't have a huge HD TV :)

For the four World Series games, you can change the audio to: English, Spanish, Red Sox Broadcast, or Rockies Broadcast. (I'm watching Game 2 in Spanish as I'm typing this to prepare for my Spanish mid-term Monday).
The audio changes, but the video is the same, so the people on the Boston or Colorado broadcast might be talking about something you don't see if they are looking somewhere other than at the same spot as the Fox cameras (that might not make much sense, but you'll know what I'm talking about if you see it).

You can't do this for the ALCS games, though.

-Thanks for everything.

 
At 1/27/2008 6:25 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi Sox/Devil..I'm so happy! And you can use gmail as an alternate email addy, too. Plus it makes it so so easy to comment...just don't forget your SN and password. Duh, Peter, she knows that! I'm glad I could help and I look forward too your comments during the '08 season. Have a great Sunday!!!!

Buena suerte! 7th grade Spanish!

 
At 1/27/2008 8:34 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

Cashman was once heard screaming @ Ol' George that he was willing to jump over to the Mets:

Only Problem is that Brian would have to put up with a bunch of Pennypinchers for Owners.

 
At 1/27/2008 9:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike, he's not a bad guy! He just works for a**holes.....

 
At 1/28/2008 6:31 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Sox/Devils, the smaller the TV, the clearer the picture will be...unless you have a Hi-Def. But there won't be many Hi-Def DVD players sold until there is a unification of the two formats, incompatible ones, too. They are HD-DVD and Sony Blu Ray, which will be the eventual winner. SOON! And then I'll buy. I'm happy you can comment now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home