Thursday, January 31, 2008

Umpires Are LIVID Over Commisioner Office's Questions...And They're Right!

Hello on this cold and dark Thursday, the last Thursday of January. I came across an article this morning from the AP, and I was floored. Literally shocked and confused. Here's why. The commisioner's office of security has been going door to door to some of the major league umpires' hometown neighbors and asking RIDICULOUS questions. Here's a bit of that very article, and then boy oh boy, will I be back with some comments. Just try and stop me! Here you go...

NEW YORK (AP) -- "Umpires are livid that Major League Baseball has sent investigators to their hometowns, asking neighbors a series of questions that include whether the ump belongs to the Ku Klux Klan.
"The questions that we found out are being asked are about beating wives, marijuana use and extravagant parties," World Umpires Association president John Hirschbeck said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "And then finally with this whole thing about the Ku Klux Klan.
"You get someone from security, shows his credentials and starts asking these kind of questions, and right away what's the neighbor going to think other than the umpire is in trouble, he's done something wrong and he's going to lose his job."
Hirschbeck and union spokesman Lamell McMorris said Tom Christopher, the Milwaukee-based supervisor of security and investigations in the commissioner's office, had asked questions about Klan membership to neighbors of umpires Greg Gibson and Sam Holbrook, who reside in Kentucky. In addition, Hirschbeck said similar questions had been asked to neighbors of umpire Ron Kulpa, who lives in suburban St. Louis."

Peter here again...what the heck is going on here? This is the first time I've ever heard of these shenanigans by the office of the commish, and it seems to me to be a complete bashing of the umpires' personal rights. I'm not a lawyer, but ANYONE with a head on their shoulders can see that the umpires' Constitutional freedoms have been compromised. Not only have the umps' personal freedom guarantees been totally annhililated, but at the same time, remember this. What will the neighbors think? If this happened to me without a shred of evidence damning me in the first place, I'd have my lawyers speaking for me. And their comments would be directed to Mr. Bud Selig, Mr. Looney Tunes himself, just to find out the reason(s) why this has happened. Imagine if a security agent was canvassing YOUR friends and neighbors and asking them insane and baseless questions about you.

So...do any of you have any ideas? I'd love to hear them. I'd also like to hear what you think...are you as stunned and surprised as I am? Please leave those thoughts in the comment section, and I will read them and try to respond to them as quickly as I can. And I linked the entire AP article...all you have to do is click on the title of this post. It was too lengthy to run in its entirety. As always, my Constant Readers, have a great Thursday. Spring training is approaching every one of us on winged feet.

Oh, I wanted to wish NOLAN RYAN a happy and healthy 61st birthday. Live long and prosper, Mr. No Hitter. And as always, my friends, BE WELL. Don't forget to click on that title! Thanks for stopping in yet again. I appreciate it so very much. And I always will.

7 Comments:

At 1/31/2008 12:42 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I'm sure the umpires have to agree to background checks by contract, but this seems to be a poorly executed investigation. The thing I always think about when someone asks an incredibly stupid question (are they a KKK member?) or a rule against something really asinine, is that there is a basis for that. Someone it the past has done that stupid thing, so it has to be covered. The KKK question sounded like an offhanded remark rather than a standard question.

It boils down to the fact that the umpires agreed to a background investigation and maybe not the details of how the check would be conducted. If they can't live with those terms until the next contract comes up, there are other jobs.

 
At 1/31/2008 12:58 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hello BFW! I'm also sure that the background checks are a sure thing. But the "Gestapo" way that the "investigators" (haha) went about their sick process is almost comically sad.
I must disagree a little. When background checks are usually done, they are done BEFORE the hiring. This stinks! And I read about the KKK questions in many more than just this one article. Next thing we'll know, the umpires will have to wear a yellow badge with the letter U on it. I mean, holy you-know-what! Peter.
As always, great to see your comments! Pete

 
At 1/31/2008 4:45 PM, Blogger OGM said...

It's like the old story of a lawyer asking a witness, "So when did you stop beating your wife?" Next thing you know there'll be a Congressional investigation ... jeez !

 
At 1/31/2008 7:42 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

"When background checks are usually done, they are done BEFORE the hiring."
-That's a good point. If they already have the job and are doing fine, then why try to find something wrong? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)

Only TWO WEEKS until Spring Training!!
I can't wait :)

 
At 1/31/2008 11:14 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Hi (again) Peter!

I thought you might find this...interesting. It seems Alex Cora's offseason has been a bit different than everyone else's. Go to the link below, and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jan/31/boston-red-sox-infielder-alex-cora-booked-martin-c/

 
At 2/01/2008 5:59 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks OGM...you're right! And Brit, your grasped my point perfectly. And I'm going to that link right now.
THANKS EVERYONE!!!

 
At 2/01/2008 6:36 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Brit, I even wrote about it!!!!!!!! You're the best..Peter N.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home