Thursday, January 03, 2008

With Johan On The Red Sox, The Door Opens For Kielty...Maybe

Rob Bradford of the Boston Herald wrote a nice piece today (Thursday) about our 2007 reserve "outfielder/righthanded hitter off the bench" Bobby Kielty. Kielty, whose home run in the World Series was pivotal, knows that the trade talk involving Minnesota lefty ace Johan Santana includes the name of Coco Crisp, who would, in most scenarios, go to the Twinkies to fill their centerfield void. This is what Bobby had to say when asked his feelings. I'll be back with a comment after you read this...

“Unless another team comes in with an unbelievable offer, I’m just going to wait it out and see what happens. I love Boston and I’m hoping something can work out.”
Kielty, who has drawn interest from “three to four” other teams, is just a .228 career hitter left-handed but a .296 hitter from the right side. He was brought in by the Sox last season to serve as their primary righty hitter off the bench, and he highlighted his stay with a pinch-hit home run in Game 4 of the World Series.
Although his preference is to remain with the Red Sox, Kielty might have to look at other options more intensely if Crisp’s situation isn’t resolved.
Other than waiting to see where he will be calling home next season, Kielty has been very pleased with his offseason.
“I’m excited about how I feel,” said Kielty, who has been able to work on his legs and mobility more than any point since suffering a torn meniscus in his knee in 2007.
“I’m finally where I need to be.”
“When I think of the Minnesota Twins, I think of Johan Santana,” he said. “You can’t get much better than him.”

Peter here, and when I think of Bobby Kielty, I think of his smash into the leftfield stands last September, up in the rarified air of Denver. I hope he'll be back with the Sox in '08, because that would mean the Sox would be "Coco-less" AND have another lefty in the rotation. But, and I've said this SO many times, the world champion Boston Red Sox, my team, and yours, are just fine the way they are right now. But to part with Jon Lester and Coco Crisp, AND two hot prospects, in order to add Johan Santana, well, that's the stuff that dreams are made of. I like to dream....don't you? And 2008 COULD be a dream season. But that's the future, and now is NOW.

Click on the title for the entire Bradford piece, and enjoy your Thursday, the third day of our new year. As always, thanks for being here to read my words, and click on that title. BE WELL!

5 Comments:

At 1/03/2008 11:22 AM, Blogger TBG said...

Peter, in your humble opinion, give me the percentage you think that Santana will join the Sox. Personally, I think it's only about 35%

 
At 1/03/2008 11:33 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

I'm with you, Peter. I want to keep Kielty, and the team is fine as it stands now. Kielty won my heart that first night he played (I think it was his first night) when he jumped for that ball, not worrying about hurting himself, and smashed his back into the stands. That took real gumption. (As in, it was the opposite of the way Drew plays). I also think he'll calm down this year and play better. Last year was about proving himself, and I think he stressed himself out.

Our team is set. Let's not mess it up with a Santana trade. (And I've got the strongest feeling Santana will tank if we get him; don't know why).

We're one day closer to opening day. I tell myself that each morning.

Keith

 
At 1/03/2008 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would mean the Sox would be "Coco-less"

That's not very nice, Peter. Coco was a big part of the '07 championship team, especially with his glove, and deserves more respect for his contributions than what you just gave him.

 
At 1/03/2008 5:07 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

MCW (Lisa)...wait...I don't have a mean bone in my body. I saw Coco fly and reach balls not only hit to center, but also as he was going to his left or his right! HORIZONTALLY!!!! He does NOT want to be a number four guy in the outfield....and I know he is bitter for being mentioned in the trade talks. But who knows what will happen? I appreciate what he did for us. BIGTIME! If it wasn't for some of his "back to the plate" Superman type of catches, last year might have been different. I'm so full of respect for him. OK?

TBJ, I'm not a fortune teller, especially on this Thursday, when all I've been hearing is that, for now, the Twinkies/Red Sox talks are "dead." So I have no idea. As Lisa said, we would lose a tremendous defensive centerfielder, but that's exactly what Minnesota covets. If they continue to want to be greedy (like now!), there will be NO trade!

And Keith, BK made that "DWIGHT EVENS type of catch" without worrying about his body. It's called HEART, something we will always need.

Thanks Keith, TBJ and MCW. I hope the new year has been great, so far. And Lisa, I never meant to diss one of the best defensive outfielders in the game. I hope you know that!

 
At 1/03/2008 5:08 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Dwight Evans....my bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home