Sunday, February 17, 2008

Top 10 Defensive Players Of Baseball

Randolph E. Schmid of the AP has compiled a very interesting list of the Top 10 best and worst players when it comes to defensive ability. In one glaring example, AROD was one of the top shortstops while his teammate, Derek Jeter, was named THE worst! Here is the entire list, with my comments to follow. One comment from me appears in the shortstop category. I just couldn't resist! Here you go. I think you'll like it...

The top three, and the worst, fielders (some of whom are no longer playing), based on the SAFE rankings, were:

_First base: Best, Ken Harvey, formerly with Kansas City; Doug Mientkiewicz, now with Pittsburgh; Eric Karros, formerly with the A's and Dodgers; worst, Fred McGriff, formerly with Tampa Bay.

_Second base: Best, Craig Counsell of the Brewers; Brandon Phillips of the Reds; Chase Utley of the Phillies; worst, Enrique Wilson, who last played with the Cubs.

_Third base: Best, Damian Rolls, formerly with Tampa; Counsell; Placido Polanco of the Tigers; Worst, Travis Fryman, formerly with the Indians and Tigers.

_Shortstop: Best, Clint Barmes of the Rockies; Alex Rodriguez, of the Yankees; Jason Bartlett, traded from Minnesota to Tampa Bay in the offseason; worst, Derek Jeter, of the Yankees. (PETER HERE...ISN'T THIS HILARIOUS??)

_Left field: Best, Crisp; Reed Johnson of the Blue Jays; Carl Crawford of Tampa Bay; worst, Higginson.

_Center field: Best, Michaels; Andruw Jones, now with the Dodgers; Darin Erstad, now with the Astros; Worst, Williams.

_Right field: Best, Matthews; Trot Nixon, who played with the Indians last year; Dustan Mohr, who last played for Tampa Bay; Worst, Pena.

****************************

Peter back again, and did you notice what I noticed? First of all, catchers were not on the list. Wha?? And Coco Crisp was listed on the leftfielder list? Huh?? And also notable was the fact that Kevin Youkilis was NOT listed as one of the best defensive first basemen! To me that almost invalidates the entire collection of names! Holy s**t! I would have thought that Youk would be front and center, light steps (less than a light mile) in front of anyone else who pretends to play first base. But you can see for yourself. I'll link the entire article, for Coco's name IS included in the text. You'll have to read it...just click on the title. And I'd love to read your comments, with additions, subtractions, ridicule or support. Do you have any players to add or subtract from Schmid's list? You see, these are the things I HAVE to know. So, por favor, leave your comments, and I will answer them promptly. Hey, it Sunday...I don't have much else to do!

I'll be back with another post if something catches my eye. I saw this list first and I wanted to get it out here. Hey, have a great Sunday, and as the immortal words go..."I'll be back!" Umm, who said that? Gen. MacArthur? Oh, that's right. It was the Terminator. Ah-nold. Well, "I'll be bahk."

11 Comments:

At 2/17/2008 9:09 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

& Derek is a Disco Party Boy on 2nd And 1st Avenues in Manhattan:

A neighbor, who works as a bouncer, once pulled a Smashed Jeter off a NY Sidewalk;

He's just a Sex Symbol for FOX Sports to push in our faces, the way Mc Namee injected Roger;

Derek doesn't have A-Rod's skills @ SS & may be as selfish, if not more, than A-Rod.

 
At 2/17/2008 9:10 AM, Blogger Krystle [RSO] said...

Pena shouldn't EVER play RF unless the team is so desperate.

Trot - that's interesting - he had a subpar year last year and no one picked him up...odd.

 
At 2/17/2008 9:15 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Krystle, I thought it was "odd," to say the least, too! Nice to hear from you!!

And Mike, ok Mike, you make so many great points, every day! He couldn't have been drunk, could he?????

Thank you...both of you. And have a great Sunday.

 
At 2/17/2008 9:15 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike, you know I was just kidding!

 
At 2/17/2008 10:31 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Peter,

I read that article yesterday and had the same reaction as you: nice to see Coco's name, and where the hell was Youk? Kind of kills the rush for Coco, since the list is unbalanced.

I'm glad Coco's still with us. Remember the early part of last year when he always hit at bat? He was downright reliable for the first part of the year. And the man can catch like no other.

(But yay Ellsbury!)

Keith

 
At 2/17/2008 11:15 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Keith, hello! I was going to mention Jacoby, but you JUST did! Great comment, and Coco is SO great catching the ball horizontally! To have Ells and Coco as our numbers three and four fielders (in no particular order) out there makes the Red Sox outfield the best it can be!

HEY, have a great Sunday, and as always, I love your comments. That goes out to ALL my comment-leaving readers! What a lucky guy I must be. Take care Keith.

 
At 2/17/2008 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a bizarre list. ARod hasn't palyed short since 2003, and it's hard to believe he would rank above the best these days. And Trot Nixon is nowhere near the best right fielder anymore-I daresay either Abreu OR Drew is worlds better than he is now.

And Coco plays left field? Did we move Manny to first or something?

 
At 2/17/2008 4:50 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Lisa...my previous words, exactly. But the AP article is real, not a goof. But I made sure it wasn't April 1st! Peter

 
At 2/17/2008 4:51 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

And Krystle, Pena should never even wear a glove, except a batting glove as a DH!
HEY, THANKS ALL!!

 
At 2/18/2008 12:01 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

This list was based on stats from 2002 through 2005. The great year that Youk had last year wasn't included in the study.
Trot was a damn good right fielder during those years.
And Coco, by the way, played over 200 games in left field for the Indians.

 
At 2/18/2008 12:53 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, thank you! I've learned something I didn't know. I can't wait fo a REAL (spring training OK) baseball game! GO SOX!
Thanks again--Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home