Saturday, April 05, 2008

Blue Jay Way

The Toronto Blue Jays defeated the Boston Red Sox on Friday night by a score of 6-3. JD Drew picked up where he left off before his back injury, knotting the game at three in the top of the seventh. But the bullpen couldn't hold it, with Frank Thomas' two run double off Manny Delcarmen in the bottom of the frame being the difference maker. Little Manny had this to say after his outing...

“One pitch away,” he said. “That’s baseball. It’s early.

Tim Wakefield, in his first start of 2008, was more than respectable, going six innings and allowing those first three runs. Here is the complete Red Sox pitching summary...

IP H R ER BB K HR Season ERA
T. Wakefield 6.0 6 3 3 3 4 1 4.50
D. Aardsma (L, 0-1) 0.0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5.40
J. Lopez 0.0 1 1 1 0 0 0 9.00
M. Delcarmen 1.2 3 1 1 0 1 0 2.45
B. Corey 0.1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2.45

Timmy was outpitched by Toronto starter Shaun Marcum and the team from Canada emerged victorious. The Sox only collected four hits-you can't win many games that way. But it was nice to continue to see a hot and powerful JD Drew. We'll get 'em today, I hope, with Clay Buchholz making his first start of the year. Let's hope that Colon's masterful performance is not on his mind when he takes the mound shortly after 1pm est today. His future is ahead of him. He is NOT pitching for his life, just for his team. If he has to go to Pawtucket for more seasoning, so be it. Colon might be able to help us in a huge way, and the rotation will need it. I know he (Colon) has had only one outstanding outing, and that was against a Triple A club, but his velocity, his control and his location were superb. I, for one, expect great things from him. Honestly, we can't expect a non-surgery-repaired Schilling to be of any value to the club this year. Of course, we all wish him the best and hope that he shines in the second half, but the Sox have to think of a capable fifth starter NOW, before one is needed in about ten days. I have faith Bartolo is the answer. I HOPE he will be. I really do. We're do for a great surprise of some kind.

My Constant Readers, thanks for visiting yet again on this dark and rainy (that's all it ever does these days!) Saturday morning. Please click on the title of this post for the Boston Herald's full wrap-up of last night's less than stellar effort. Have a great weekend, and as always, be well. GO SOX! Forever.

8 Comments:

At 4/05/2008 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LET'S GO CLAY!!!

 
At 4/05/2008 9:55 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Yesterday was tough, but I'm betting we'll win today. Really looking forward to seeing Buchholz pitch.

(And darn that Drew. He always does this just when I'm ready to throw him off the team.)

 
At 4/05/2008 10:33 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

I think Drew is set up to have a good year. He had so many emotional issues going on at home last year. Bucholz has not looked too impressive this spring, but sometimes it all comes together once the season starts. Got my fingers crossed - Clay could be a big part of this.

 
At 4/05/2008 12:21 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I agree, Lisa... Keith, Clay should be OK..but Colon is waiting in the wings. And Rooster, if it ain't Clay, it will be Bartolo....

 
At 4/05/2008 12:29 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Ever since Game 6 of the ALCS last year, Drew has been on fire!

I'm excited about seeing (I mean listening to) Clay pitch today, but I'm even more excited about Josh's game tommorow...but maybe that's because I actually get to WATCH it!

 
At 4/06/2008 5:15 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Brittany, Josh will be going against their best--Halladay. It will be tough. I'm glad you get to see it. Can't you get the games over the internet for a fee??

 
At 4/06/2008 10:50 AM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

Yeah, I have MLB Audio, but MLB TV is a little too expensive for me.
:)

 
At 4/06/2008 11:57 AM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

By the time you even it out, though, it's really not that expensive, but if I could watch all of the games, I would, which would mean I would spend a lot of time secluded in my room in front of my computer, which I don't think the rest of my family would like.
:)
Also, it makes October seem so much better and more exciting because I get to watch ALL of the postseason games.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home