Friday, May 16, 2008

Bartolo Colon ALMOST Ready For Call-Up

Good Friday morning, a morning I don't have to write about a Boston Red Sox loss. And there's GOOD news to boot! Bartolo Colon, our soon-to-be fifth starter, pitched for Pawtucket yesterday and went six great innings, allowing only one hit and hitting 96 MPH on the gun. The only problem was that he only needed 64 pitches (45 of 'em strikes) to go those six innings, so the Sox will probably want him to go one more time Tuesday before joining the big club. If that's the case, we'll see him on or about Sunday, and boy, do we need him. If he could become a dependable starter, and there's nothing to make me think otherwise, Boston will be a much better club, injuries notwithstanding. And right now he's feeling great. If he doesn't go on Tuesday, the start will probably be awarded to Justin Masterson, who had his worst outing yesterday pitching for Double A Portland, giving up seven earned runs and nine hits in six innings. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Colon on Tuesday at Fenway, and what a hometown greeting he will get. A savior? Nah. A much needed cog in the pitching rotation? Most assuredly so. He could be a huge boost for the team's 2008 chances...if the bullpen allows any success at all. I am down on our 'pen right now, and I'm sure Theo and company are thinking the same exact thing. Time will tell. And what of Buchholz? Don't be surprised if he is inserted into a long relief bullpen role, which would allow the club to limit his innings and give him the time he needs to straighten himself out against major league pitching. Makes sense to me.

As the Yankees keep tumbling (ha ha ha-hee hee hee), the Red Sox prepare for a three game series with the National League Milwaukee Brewers. Here are the pitching matchups for the three vital games to come...

Jeff Suppan (2-3, 4.63 ERA) vs. Daisuke Matsuzaka (6-0, 2.45) tonight
Dave Bush (1-4, 6.06) vs. Tim Wakefield (3-2, 4.25) Saturday
Carlos Villenueva (2-4, 6.00) vs. Josh Beckett (4-3, 4.21) Sunday

We need a sweep...pure and simple. One-two-three...series over. SOX WIN. I want to thank you, my Constant Readers, for continually stopping by and reading my words and thoughts. It means more to me than you'll ever realize. And click on the title to be directed to the Red Sox Boston Herald homepage. You'll be able to read the latest on Colon and that team we love to love. As always, take care of yourselves and as always, BE WELL. Forever.

10 Comments:

At 5/16/2008 10:54 AM, Blogger Sam said...

lol is it wrong that my favorite part of this post was "As the Yankees keep tumbling..." Have a great weekend Peter!

 
At 5/16/2008 11:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Samantha, that was my favorite part, too. I had to try REALLY hard not to put it in caps! Have a great weekend! P

 
At 5/16/2008 11:14 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

I was kind of hard on the Yankees myself today. Peter, I'm totally with you on the Colon thing. Very tough call as to a Tuesday start because it would be a start or two sooner than planned, and coming off an injury, I think the Sox may end up playing it safe and not rushing. But, you never know!

Great post today, as usual Peter!

Are the ladies excited about Kapler's return to Fenway (I know my wife is!).

 
At 5/16/2008 12:05 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

I like that Wake goes against Bush. Maybe the guys can give him some run support against a guy with a 6+ ERA?

 
At 5/16/2008 2:04 PM, Blogger TBG said...

These are excellent pitching matchups for the Sox in this series. I'm HOPING for a sweep.

 
At 5/16/2008 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our (readers') pleasure Peter! And I'm going to defy you and dare Colon to now be a savior and pitch a perfect game (when he's called in). Try to get tix and be there for it :)

 
At 5/16/2008 3:56 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Rooster, the only reason they haven't penciled him in yet (and might not until Sunday) is because he only threw 64 pitches yesterday...efficiency! But between BC and JM, I'll take the portly guy, anytime!

Hey Sul. ANYONE that goes against Bush right now would be a winner. Of course, I mean the guy in the White House..

TBG, I was thinking the same thing, but as tough it is to win just ONE lately, I'll take it a game at a time, times three!

Caroline, a perfect game to me right now would be ANY Sox win!!

THANKS ALL! You are the best. Have a great weekend, helped out by Sox victories.

 
At 5/16/2008 10:56 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I think I am getting greedy but I am thinking I may get to see Manny hit #500 and Colon's debut during the Oakland series....there are some benefits to being 3,000 miles from Fenway.

 
At 5/17/2008 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FW - That would be awesome.

PN - Since you blew your chance with Jenna Fischer, Teri Hatcher is on Letterman tonight (the announcer said to "wake the neighbors" :)

 
At 5/17/2008 5:30 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Caroline, I'll take Jenna anytime over Teri. She doesn't appweal to me. And FW, wow, that should be fun, long distance fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home