Friday, May 09, 2008

Comerica The Beautiful...Red Sox 5 Tigers 1

With its smaller than ever outfield dimensions, Comerica Park in Detroit, Michigan must be one of Kevin Youkilis' favorite places to play baseball. He hit his fourth home run of the four game set Thursday night to back the solid seven innings of pitching from Josh Beckett. Beckett made some sort of correction in his pitching motion, and it seemed to work - he walked no one. He had this to say...

“There’s somebody back home,” said Beckett, “who has been watching me since I was 14 years old and knows me better than anybody. They were the one who saw something. “I’m just trying to get to where I need to be,” he said.

Peter here, and he was where WE need him to be last night. He was flat out brilliant, going seven strong and giving up a lone run on six hits. He walked nobody and threw 102 pitches. Craig Hansen followed with a clean eighth inning and Manny Delcarmen surrendered one hit in an eleven pitch ninth. If Hansen can give us a clean inning often, just ONE inning, mind you, he would be a HUGE boost to the bullpen and would take some pressure off of Okajima and Papelbon. Keep it going, Craig, one inning at a time. We need you!

The Red Sox were again in double figures for hits, with Coco Crisp collecting three safeties and Ellsbury, Lowell and Big Papi David Ortiz two apiece. A balanced attack was combined with fine pitching to make a wonderful victory stew, savory and delicious, a concoction I'd like to enjoy, oh, 108 times this season. MMMM, smell the aroma, a mix of hot dogs and beer and mustard and clam chowder and huge winning smiles - smiles for this 2008 Boston team!

Boston travels south to Minnesota for another four game matchup. Minnesota, home of my wonderful and sweet girlfriend Nadia, who will not be able to make the trip from Cold Spring (about two hours) to Minneapolis because of classes and work, is the home of the Central Division leading Twins. But Nads wears her Red Sox 2008 World Championship sweatshirt, red, of course, proudly. She also owns a couple other pieces of Sox apparel, but I won't go into that here. The upcoming pitching matchups, matchups that favor Boston almost every time, are coming right up...

Friday: Jon Lester vs. Boof Bosner
Saturday: Daisuke Matsuzaka vs. Glen Perkins (season debut)
Sunday: Timmy Wakefield vs. Nick Blackburn
Monday: Clay Buchholz vs. Livian Hernandez

Only Livian Hernandez has a better than .500 record, but strange things happen at the Ugly Dome...oops, METRODOME. The Sox are in first place with a 23-14 record. It would be so nice to get to ten games over the five hundred mark, so GO JON! If you wish, click on the title of this post for the Boston Globe homepage. Enjoy your Friday and the upcoming weekend, and I'd love to answer any and all of your comments/questions/queries. As always, BE WELL.

8 Comments:

At 5/09/2008 11:03 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

I love the stew - perfect ingredients! Also love to see Hansen doing well, we sure could use him.

I was in love with a girl named Nadia once - she was a gymnast, even won a few olympic gold medals. She wasn't a Sox fan, so it didn't work out. :-)

Of course, now you've got me wondering about the "other" Red Sox apparel...

 
At 5/09/2008 11:22 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Rooster, you made me laugh. Nadia C. (I cannot spell her name, but she was amazing...perfect tens!) was wonderful, but MY Nads is the best in her own way. And the rest (you know) will remain my secret. But I'm trying to talk her into writing a post right here. I hope so.

Go Jon Lester. Rooster, hey, you're funny! Peter

 
At 5/09/2008 11:39 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

I held my breath during Hansen's inning but he pulled it off! You're right, Peter. We may get that bridge yet. I held my breath for DelCarmen too, but he came through. Phew.

Yeah, Youk's on fire. You can see it in his stance. He always looks just a bit edgier at bat when he's really in gear, and that's the way he's been for a week or two now. Watta guy.

 
At 5/09/2008 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Keith, that you can see it in Youk's stance, and he has one of the most unusual stances in all of baseball!

FYI PN - Jenna Fischer is back on the market (I told you that you should have sent her some chicken soup last year ;) and was on Jay Leno last night. Just kidding Nadia :D

 
At 5/09/2008 2:40 PM, Blogger Rooster said...

Peter - don't they have to go North from Detroit to get to Minneapolis? Well, probably more like west by north west.

I know picky, picky. Nadia, do you agree?

 
At 5/09/2008 2:43 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Just loving my boy Beckett today :o) Have a great weekend!

 
At 5/09/2008 6:28 PM, Blogger redsox.njdevils said...

I missed the game (I was studying all night), but I'm glad to hear Beckett was awesome--not that I expected him to be anything else! I hope Lester follows Josh's lead with a stellar performance tonight.

For one (of the six) essays I had to write today, the topic was Peter the Great. My thesis was going to be "Peter's great, and he writes an awesome Red Sox blog", but then I realized I wouldn't get a very good score, so I decided to write about the one that ruled Russia instead. I would have preffered to write about you, though! :)

 
At 5/10/2008 6:19 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

SC, I've always had a crush on Jenna (sorry Nads), but I missed her appearance. It seems she has recovered from her fall, thank goodness.
And Keith, Youk is as agressive as they come at the plate, and that's why Yankee fans unite in hating him! Talk about misdirected feelings!
Rooster, I'm not sure, but they're both in the midwest, and you're probably right. I DID ask Nadia, but sometimes when I talk "baseball blog," she seems to listen less. Just a little, though. I'll tell her she was mentioned in these comments, and thanks to you and SC for that.
Samantha, thank you! I hope you're doing great. And Brittany, welcome back from the land of Walter Disney. I hope you had fun. You were missed, and your kindness is always appreciated. And yes, you'd be better off writing about Peter the Great instead of Peter the Me.
THANKS ALL!! I love ya!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home