Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Cardinals Eke One Out On Celtics Night At Fenway...St. Louis 5 Boston 4

It was a festive Friday night at Fenway Park in Boston, and a sea of green Celtics tee shirts and jerseys greeted the Celtics and Red Sox players and coaches before the game in a great ceremony. But after a rain delay of an hour plus, it was time to play baseball. Tim Wakefield pitched well enough to keep his team in the game, allowing 7 hits and four runs, three of them earned (a Lugo error) in 7 innings. Hideki Okajima, continuing his up and down season, gave up three hits and the game-winning run in the eighth before Aardsma, who becomes MORE VALUABLE TO THE CLUB WITH EVERY SINGLE APPEARANCE, struck out the side in the top of the ninth. But Boston had squandered what chances they had and ended up on the short end of the stick, runs wise. Three times they had the bases loaded, and this is the result...one sacrifice fly, one strikeout, one double play, and just two runs. And that ain't enough! Was it the green jerseys? I don't think so, but I'm sure those Celtic greens will not resurface anytime soon. This is what Tito Francona had to say after the disheartening loss...

“We had some opportunities, some guys right in the middle of the order we had up and let them off the hook a couple of times, ended up losing by one,” manager Terry Francona said.

One more observation about the festive Friday game--David Aardsma, who struck out the side in the ninth, has become an invaluable member of the Sox bullpen. He has been just as effective as last year's Hideki (the Darkman) Okajima. I think he's the real deal, and I know he will be effective in that vital 8th inning (a huge part of the bridge to Paps) role, which is a crucial one, to say the least. He keeps getting better and better, and I know Tito and Theo know exactly that. If not, they should read this blog. Of course, I'm kidding, and of course, they know. But they should read it anyways!

I'm leaving you today with a link to the Saturday Boston Herald homepage. You can read all about last night's game and SO much more. Just click on this post's title, and you're there. And I'll end this post with a quote from Curt Schilling's blog, which you can access by going to my link list, on the right side of the screen, and just look for 38 PITCHES. It's about halfway down on that list. What he says in his last post is from his heart, and it touched mine. I'll leave you with his words, and as always, be well. STAY WELL. Here are Curt's words...

"To you fans, thank you, thank you, thank you. If it is all over, every single moment and memory I’ll take away from my career comes with your involvement and support. More athletes than you know recognize this and appreciate it. The 4 years I was allowed the honor of wearing this uniform I would hope you believe I did so with honor, integrity and respect, for the game but more importantly for my manager, coaches and teammates. The game was here for well over a hundred years before I came along, and will be for that and more after I am gone, it owes Curt Schilling absolutely nothing, it gave me far more than I ever gave it."

Peter here...thank you Curt, for everything. Heal well...we all wish you the very best. You made us proud, you made us happy, you made us CHAMPIONS! What more could we have asked?

4 Comments:

At 6/21/2008 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Was it the green jerseys?"

Probably not...remember, the last time they wore them, they were propelled to a come-from-behind victory against the Evil Empire!

 
At 6/21/2008 9:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I remember that game well..it's just that last night was a game we COULD have won, but we'll win the next two. Have a great weekend!!

 
At 6/21/2008 3:59 PM, Blogger www.wickedpissadude.com said...

Quite honestly the Red Sox could've gotten blown out and nobody would've cared. It was Celtics night baby and we celebrated in Titletown style!!

Now though, it's time to get to work for our local nine.

http://www.wickedpissadude.com

 
At 6/21/2008 4:02 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm with you! Gametime Saturday...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home