Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Second Chance Win For Boston...Red Sox 6 Reds 4...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY...GO CELTICS! BEAT LA!!

The bottom of the ninth inning started hopeful and bright. And why not? Jonathon Papelbon was on the mound and the good guys, the Boston Red Sox, were ahead by a score of 4-3. One out, two outs, absolutely nobody on for the Reds. And then...then, DISASTER as Encarnation jerked a fastball into the stands to tie the game. Possible jubulation instantly turned to complete and utter despair. So extra innings were upon us, and I knew that even if Boston was able to score in the top of the tenth, Paps would not be pitching. OUCH! Back to back home runs by Kevin Youkilis, playing in front of SO many hometown fans, and Coco Crisp suddenly made that mournful mood joyful yet again. 6-4 Sox, and after a knock on the bathroom door, Craig Hansen started warming up in the bullpen. His job? Nail down this road win. One pitch, one out. And then two. And then a single put the tying run at the plate. And a walk. GULP! Two outs. Hansen was gunning for his first major league save, and he did it! Final score...6-4 good guys. Congratulations go out to a few Red Sox players, but first, this is what manager Tito Francona and the hitting star of the game, Kevin Youkilis, had to say after the extra inning thrills...

"We had heard this ballpark played pretty small, and I agree," added Francona. "Encarnacion's at-bat was a good at-bat," Francona said. "Paps threw him everything in that at-bat, but couldn't get his fastball by him. You're down to one strike and you're the visitors in the ballpark and then you have to keep playing, that's tough. The good thing is, we kept playing."

"Definitely a good thrill to hit one in that situation," said Youkilis, who struck out his first two at-bats in front of a group of 140 family members and friends, then went RBI single, double, and home run with his last three swings. "To hit it in Cincinnati is a great honor and a great thrill, because who knows, after tomorrow I may not have another chance to play here."

What a thrill it must have been for Kevin, who was playing in front of many hometown friends. He's from the area...he wanted to do well, and yesterday he had three hits, including the game winning home run. Sox guys with two hits were numerous...Ellsbury, Pedey (Pedroia), JD Drew and Mikey Lowell. The world champions collected 13 hits, which were enough, BARELY.

It's Father's Day today. I know I'm up earlier than just about every one of you, but I wanted to wish my readers, all 12 of them from yesterday (a bad day for hits), and the rest of you a happy and healthy holiday. The Dads and Grandads all deserve our love. I visit my father on Fathers Day. Unfortunately, I have to visit him at the cemetary. I know he would have loved to have been here for the '04 championship season. My goodness! He was born in 1917, and I'm sure (try positive, Pete) that he didn't remember the 1918 championship. But I remember the tears of sadness, sadness, not joy, in 1975 and 1986. I even remember our little dance, with firecrackers, after Rico caught that pop up to end what would be the clinching game in 1967. And I'm sure he's been watching. I still hear his voice sometimes, and I miss him so much. So treasure your fathers. Phew, wow, a few tears...sorry.

Click on the title of this post for something Soxy, and again, have a happy and healthy holiday. And if you can, give your Dad a huge kiss. If mine was here, I sure would. Comments? Please? And I thank you for stopping in once again. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't know what I'd do without you.

2 Comments:

At 6/15/2008 8:17 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Thanks for your rundown, P. We lost electricity for the whole day and night. Damn! I missed the game and it made me crazy. So glad to hear about Youk. I thought it was supposed to be easy for us to beat these guys. In fact, I thought we'd beat them 12 - 0 every game. Guess not. Happy Father's Day to everybody.

 
At 6/15/2008 4:23 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

9-0 so far...Timlin in the bottom of the 9th. Thanks, Keith!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home