Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Sox Overpower Rays...Boston 7 Tampa Bay 4

The Boston Red Sox just do not seem to lose these days while playing at Fenway Park. After Tuesday night's 7-4 triumph over the first place Tampa Bay Rays, their home record is an AMAZING 22-5. Not bad, not bad at all. It was Justin Masterson who took Matsuzaka's turn in the rotation, and he was good, not as good as his two previous starts but good enough to earn his second victory. He went six innings, giving up four runs on six hits while walking only two. Skipper Terry Francona had this to say about his young star hurler...

“I think he enjoys pitching, I don’t think this atmosphere has gotten out ahead of him or anything. He just likes to pitch. I said before the game Masterson’s pitching and we really didn’t give it a second thought, and I meant that as a compliment. He goes up and we expect him to give us a good ballgame, and he did that.”

After Justin's 91 pitches took him through that first six, it was the bullpen's turn to shine. First up was Little Manny Delcarmen, who had an uneventful seventh. Javy Lopez wiggled into trouble with a hit and a walk in the eighth before none other than Craig Hansen, who is SO needed in the 'pen, rescued him and the team. He used his nasty, biting slider to get out of a two-men-on-base dilemna, giving way to a twelve pitch ninth inning Papelbon save, his 17th. Papelbon has a slightly sore arm, but breathe easy, it's his LEFT arm, not his money one, and he said it was "just kind of nagging." Phew!

The Sox banged out only 7 hits, but they came at the right times. Most notable were Mike Lowell's two run home run in the 2nd, JD Drew's solo shot in the 4th (he also made two great catches in right) and Coco Crisp's wall double in the sixth. The Rays just don't like playing at the Fens, and I'm sure that's just fine with all of us. It is with me!

Click on this post's title for more on last night's game, and enjoy your Wednesday Hump Day. We take on the Rays again tonight, with Josh "Baseball" Beckett ready to face Edwin Jackson. On another note, the two contest winner's DVD sets will be in the mail this week, and I would appreciate a comment or an email when they arrive at your door (or at your desk). Hey, remember, BE WELL! And thanks for stopping in yet again. I'm a lucky guy that you do!!!

6 Comments:

At 6/04/2008 9:16 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

Good write-up. That game was a pleasure to watch. JD sure is better than last year. It's nice to look forward to his at-bats. And I'm loving Masterson. We are SO lucky (and talented).

How's your head?

 
At 6/04/2008 10:23 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mi cabeza? Mucho mechor, mi amigo (My head? Much better, my friend). En espanol, un pocito (a little).
Hey, thanks. ALMOST no headache. You take care, and JD is, so far, been SO great.

 
At 6/04/2008 1:09 PM, Blogger Rooster said...

I was lucky to go to the game - amazing night! (maybe I was too wordy on my post - but I had a lot to say I guess). JD looked locked in! And Papelbon was stunning - threw some serious gas last night - hit 100 on the gun!

Maybe we can steal first place back tonight?

 
At 6/04/2008 5:02 PM, Blogger Nodd Blossom said...

Peter,
I got your comment on your last post, that was cruel, not fair to make fun of my spelling, but i know you were just kidding (-.-)

 
At 6/05/2008 5:31 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Consider it earned, Rooser...glad you had fun!
And yes Nadia, I was kidding!!

 
At 6/05/2008 5:32 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I left out the "T" in RoosTer...sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home