Wednesday, September 24, 2008

***RED SOX CLINCH PLAYOFF BERTH***

California, here we come. Yes, on this Wednesday morning it's safe to say that because the Red Sox defeated the Cleveland Indians Tuesday night by a score of 5-4, lowering their magic number to zero. It don't get no lower than that! Wakefield went six innings and was good enough, giving up four runs. The bullpen took over from there and recorded three scoreless three hit innings to nail down the wild card slot. I don't think it will be possible or necessary to catch the Rays...they swept the helpless Bartimore Orioles and are in a race with the Angels for the best record in the American League. Quite a turnaround for a perennially losing club, isn't it? Here's what MVP candidate Dustin Pedroia and transplanted leftfielder Jason Bay had to say amid the subdued but delirious celebration...

"A lot of guys went down and we found a way to get into the playoffs to defend our title," second baseman Dustin Pedroia said in an on-field interview that was broadcast on the scoreboard to chants of "M-V-P!" "We have a chance to do what we did last year, and that's all we were looking for - an opportunity."

"I'm a first timer, but I definitely can get used to it," Bay said. "When I got called into the office the day I was traded, I remember them saying to me, 'Thanks for all you did for us. Now go win a ring.' It finally paid off."

So YES, WE DID IT!!! A year of injuries and setbacks lead to the magic of October, and Boston will be a team to be reckoned with. The four man rotation (at least in my mind) will be (in this order) Beckett, Lester, Matsuzaka and Paul Byrd. Sorry Tim, Byrd has been more consistant. Do any of you agree? Just leave a comment.

That's it for today. After twenty minutes of typing, my left upper arm starts to ache and I run (these days I walk) to get the ice pack, thankfully provided by my Minnesota (originally Russia) girlfriend Nadia. She's the best. She cares. Just click on the title of this post for more on the Boston victory and the clubhouse celebration.

***CONGRATULATIONS 2008 BOSTON RED SOX.*** The road to October is open for business, no toll money needed. And as always, BE WELL.

5 Comments:

At 9/24/2008 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Sox! Woo-hoo! Let's hope history is our friend against the Angels!

 
At 9/24/2008 11:22 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Woo-hoo! Soxtober is just around the corner.

 
At 9/24/2008 11:33 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Now that we've clinched, Peter, go get that arm rested and ready for the playoffs. Keep your pitch count, I mean "word count", down, and keep seeing your personal trainer (Nadia). Time to get prepared, and pack the bags for LA.

Check out my post if you want to hear about my experience at the celebration!

 
At 9/24/2008 4:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi MCW...woo-hoo was exactly what I had in mind!!
Hey BFW...yes it is!
Rooster, I will go there...I do every day.....

THANKS EVERYONE! We're IN!!!!!!!

 
At 9/24/2008 4:39 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'm soooooo happy!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home