Monday, October 20, 2008

WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER...Tampa Bay Defeats Boston And Goes To The World Series

The 2008 baseball season ended for the Boston Red Sox Sunday night as the American League pennant winning Tampa Bay Rays defeated them by a score of 3-1. Tampa Bay went from a 2007 season in which they had the worst record in baseball all the way to the upcoming World Series, and it was Matt Garza, last night's starter and series MVP, who helped them get there. He was simply stunningly effective last night, going seven innings and allowing a first inning home run to Dustin Pedroia and only one other hit. The Sox had the bases loaded in the eighth inning but rookie reliever David Price struck out JD Drew to end the last Boston threat of 2008. I think Pedey put my feelings in a nutshell with his postgame comments, and here they are, followed by Sox manager Terry Francona's take on his team...

"We played as hard as we could," said Dustin Pedroia, whose homer accounted for the Red Sox run. "I guess we ran out of magic. I'm proud of everybody. We played as hard as we could all year long to get to this point. Obviously, it's a tough loss. They move on."

"We didn't get as far as we wanted," manager Terry Francona said. "We got beat by a very good team. They'll represent the American League very, very well. But this is probably the funnest couple months maybe I've ever had. I know our guys will be down for a little while, but they have no reason to hang their heads. That's an unbelievable group of guys in there. The outcome of this game won't change my feelings toward that ever."

Peter here, and I feel the same way as Tito. This 2008 Red Sox team went through it all. They had injuries all season long but still managed to field an impressive lineup every day and come within one game of reaching the World Series. Think about it...that's pretty impressive, and that's why I love this team more than I ever have and am proud to call them MY TEAM, forever and ever. Jason Varitek was asked in the clubhouse if he had just played his last game with Boston. Tears welled up in his eyes and he was unable to utter a word. That's when I lost it...I'm never afraid to show my emotions. Never have, never will.

It was fun, wasn't it? What a summer! I want to thank the Boston Red Sox players, managers, owners, fans, fellow blogger friends and Constant Readers for making these last eight months so much fun for me. I will always treasure those memories as long as I am breathing. I plan to keep that up, too, the breathing, I mean. A little levity was needed right there, you see. At least for me.

You can click on the title of this post for the Hartford Courant's Jeff Jacob's Monday sports column. He says it all in a way like no one else can. His piece was on the front page of the Courant today, too. I might take a day or two off but I'll be back by Wednesday morning before the Rays play the Phillies in the World Series. Until then, your team and my team are still world champions. They always are deep inside my heart. And so are you. That's a wrap.

13 Comments:

At 10/20/2008 10:34 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

I have Weighed In:

The Thorough Lack of Upgrades, cost the Red Sox. Manny Being A Blohole, contributed to this situation in season;

One cannot survive on Inconsistent Pitching;

Let's Go Phillies!

 
At 10/20/2008 10:36 AM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

That's just a World Series Pick, as I usually wouldn't get caught dead rooting for that team:

Time for Some Off Season deals to shore up pitching.

 
At 10/20/2008 11:21 AM, Blogger Rooster said...

Peter, it was a very fun season, one of the better ones in a while. So much fun to see all the youngs and fill-ins do wo well all year.

This was the year of Jon Lester. Too bad they could not score a few runs for him, he had a very good game. Garza was better in the end, and pitching usually is the key.

Great year Peter!

 
At 10/20/2008 11:24 AM, Blogger gingerly said...

I agree, Peter. I felt bad when we lost last night, but I was not demoralized. I felt we put out a good team all year, and we ended quite respectfully.

And yes, I'm gonna root for the Phillies all the way. Thanks for all you do, P. I haven't commented much in months, but I always read what you write.

 
At 10/20/2008 1:05 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

Hello, Peter:

Rays deserved it last night. They played a great game.I say they take the Phils in 6.

Thought you might like to see mine today. It concerns my chance encounter with Yoooooook!

 
At 10/20/2008 10:34 PM, Blogger Gerry said...

Tito put it best...albeit less than eloquently...when he called the last couple of months the "funnest" he's had in a while.
I thought he did a fabulous job, given the Manny situation and the injuries.
Throw a log in the hot stove!

 
At 10/21/2008 5:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mike, I'll head over there...thanks. I'm a Rays rooter...it's their year. Phillies are tough, though.

Great year it was, Rooster, and the first for your blog. Many more!

Sul, I'll go over there as soon as I write my post. YOUKKKKK!

Funnest was funny, Gerry. I've heard him say that before. But he was right...this '08 team went through SO much and still almost made it.

THANKS ALL! I'll never go away...beware. I'll be here the whole fall and winter, God willing. You're the best-I couldn't leave!!

 
At 10/21/2008 6:47 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Keith, I didn't forget you...promise! I know you stop by every day, and I thank you for that! It was a memorable season, wasn't it? I love "what I do"...the words just come to me through my left ear.
I'm so happy you stop in. Thank you...Pete

 
At 10/23/2008 11:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was terribly disappointed when the season ended!! :( But it was all made better by the fact that the Red Sox lost. Shove it you and stop you reminiscing about how this season was so "wonderful". You all sound so pathetic.

 
At 10/23/2008 12:05 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

How 'bout this, egs...why don't you leave and never come back. I mean, you're nasty...if you were a true baseball fan, you never would have commented with that kind of statement. GEE!!

 
At 10/23/2008 12:06 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Of course, your profile is "not available." Idiot.

THANKS everyone else!

 
At 10/23/2008 1:08 PM, Blogger Rooster said...

Peter, I guess egs did not enjoy this season - probably a Yankee fan. They can't enjoy baseball without a championship.

 
At 10/24/2008 6:24 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Roost, not probably, definitely! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home