Saturday, November 22, 2008

JFK Blown Away 45 Years Ago Today...Teixeira Christmas Wishes

Before I start with the baseball stuff, I wanted to mention this. Today marks the 45th anniversary (if you can call it that) of John F. Kennedy's assasination on that street in Dallas, Texas, a cold blooded killing done BY ONE MAN, AND ONE MAN ONLY. Jack, I was only ten years old when your head was blown apart (Zapruder film - frame 313) at noon central time, 45 years ago. I was sitting in 5th grade class when the teacher heard the announcement on the hall speakers. He opened the door to let us all hear what was being said as we all saw the American flag being lowered to half staff. I remember my teacher, Mr. Ipedico, banging his fist on his desk and saying "What did they do?" But I was baffled....I was a kid, smart and stupid at the same time. How the years have flown by. I'm not in 5th grade anymore...I'm older, maybe not wiser, but I miss you...your smile, your speeches, your everything. Rest in peace.

Mark Teixeira, joined by fellow Scott Boras(s) client and Red Sox captain Jason Varitek, were together at the Georgia Tech/ Miami football game recently. When asked about where he might end up playing in 2009, he said this. Please don't expect any bombshells...not right now. NOT YET, but there will be one...soon. If that was the case, the news would have already been splashed in front of your face by every media outlet. Here you go...remember, he was asked when he would like to be sure of what team will be the one that will pay him the big bucks...the team he'll play for, with all his heart and soul, power and defense. OK, here you go...

"I don't want to put a timetable on it, but Christmas morning," said Teixeira, who, like Varitek, was an All-American at Georgia Tech. "I want to know where I'm going to be for the next couple of years, so hopefully, by Christmas it will be done. I want to go where I can win and my family is happy," Teixeira said. "Whether it's the East Coast -- that's where I'm from -- but I loved playing in Anaheim, too, so we'll see what happens."

Peter here. I love the fact that he and 'Tek were together. Scott Boras(s), his agent (and 'Tek's) is known for holding out for the big bucks, but he also listens to his clients. If not, he wouldn't HAVE many clients. And if I read into Teixeira's comments, between the lines, he wants to be near his hometown of Baltimore and he wants to play for a bigtime winner. Well, that leaves out the Orioles, just a one hour plane ride away from Boston, Massachusetts. I think, well, sometimes I think too much, but I know this...I want him on the 2009 Boston Red Sox. I think we ALL do...money is no barrier for Mr. John Henry. That's it! Period. Sign him, Yankees be damned.

Have a great weekend. This Saturday pre-sunset morning is an unnaturally cold one. The temperature at 5:45am EST here in north central Connecticut is 18.5 degrees F. I have a fire going in the fireplace and my place is toasty, warm and actually good looking. Click on the title of this post for more Red Sox stuff, and as always, BE WELL.

JFK, I MISS YOU. I always will.

5 Comments:

At 11/22/2008 2:54 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

I was 8, in the 3rd Grade in Brooklyn, NY:

The Local Catholic School was in session. Then we were gathered in the Church across The Street;

Assassination became the new word of the day;

45 Years have passed.

 
At 11/22/2008 3:28 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

It's hard to believe, isn't it?
As always, thank you, Mike.

 
At 11/24/2008 11:58 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

That was the saddest event in my life at that point. It was horrible and completely unfathomable and really knocked the wind out of America. A vital, intelligent and charismatic leader was stolen from us.

P.S. Yes, a pre-sunset morning is very unnatural ... it is usually pre-sunrise - haha.

 
At 11/24/2008 6:11 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're right! I'm a dummy. Sometimes....

 
At 11/24/2008 6:16 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Now that I'm thinking, you're right! Time to stop thinking for the rest of the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home