Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Money Minute from Scott Boras(s)...Holiday Thoughts from Me

Is the economy affecting major league baseball teams and their revenue? Super agent Scott Boras(s) had this to say...
************************
“When I negotiate contracts with players in good economic environments, I don’t ask for 20 percent more,” uber-agent Scott Boras said last week. “I always look at baseball revenues, and in the last seven years they have gone from $3 billion to $6.5 billion. If baseball revenues drop off, that’s something we’ll look at, but if there is a drop-off, it is not going to be dramatic.”

Boras cites team’s long-term contracts with local TV and radio rights-holders, vendors corporate sponsors and premium seat holders as buffers against the current economic crisis.

“Overall, the ability of a recession to dramatically affect a franchise is limited because of contracts and relationships that are already committed,” Boras said.
************************
Peter here, and I tend to agree with the gist of what he said. Fenway Park will always be packed...every game. That might not be true in other cities but we know this...any revenue downturns for MLB will be slight compared to those of the medium to upper medium class working man or woman. Sad but true.

Next week will be Thanksgiving week, a time when baseball news is slim but holiday turkeys (and some overindulging people) are not. It's a week when people travel to gather with family members. It's a time for relaxation and good times, football games and tables heaped with all kinds of goodies. I'm going to go to my sister-in-law's sister's house. She and her husband alway cook a mean turkey (sometimes two...one in the oven, one on the grill). For me it's a nice piece of BOTH...white meat only, please. The appetizers there are varied and delicious. Shrimp with cocktail sauce and little stuffed mushrooms, sizzlingly hot from the oven, are two of my favorites. Another favorite of mine is something I can no longer have because of type one diabetes...pumpkin pie, or ANY darn type of pie. But I just watch the others eat theirs, usually accompanied by ice cream (another no no for me) and I am quite happy. But give me protein (aka turkey) and I can wolf it down with the best of 'em. Seconds, please?

That was a pre-holiday thought with love from me to you (Beatles third 1963 single). Have a great Sunday, enjoy all the football games if that's what you like, and as always, BE WELL.

P.S. Happy birthday to my girlfriend Nadia. Hey Nadi, you finally made it!

2 Comments:

At 11/24/2008 12:14 PM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

You can resist Pumpkin Pie? Holy willpower, Batman. I just take more insulin.

 
At 11/24/2008 6:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I'll try it...my weakness is apple, cherry and bluebery pie. And pumpkin, and Carvel ice cream pie....and....I can keep going, but will power will get me through. I'll take more insulin on Thursday. Promise.
Be well...I think you're the best. Happy and healthy Thanksgiving, my friend. Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home