Friday, January 09, 2009

Baldelli Announced To RSN At A Red Sox News Conference...Smoltz Will Have His Soon

Good Friday morning. The end of the week is upon us, thankfully. On Thursday, the Boston Red Sox held a news conference to introduce their newest player, Rocco Baldelli. He will be the fourth outfielder for the club, and that's an important spot to fill. He'll wear Nomar's number five, marking the first time anyone will wear that digit on their uniform since Nomar vamoosed willingly. For those of you who might be unhappy that the club did that, get over it. It's only a number. In fact, Boston should hand out number 21 to a future player (thanks Jere). They will someday. Roger has no chance of the Red Sox putting that number up in the rafters with the hallowed ones. EVER. No chance at all.

Back to the news conference...here's what Theo Epstein had to say about the Baldelli signing...

"This is a very exciting day for the organization," GM Theo Epstein said. "We’ve admired Rocco from afar for a long time now as a player and as a person and we think he is a great fit for this organization going forward. Couldn’t be happier to announce the signing here today."

And here are a couple quotes from Rocco on the signing and on the number he will don...

"My family and friends are as crazy as any other Red Sox fans out there," Baldelli said. "I know the loyalty that these people here have for this team and it’s really an honor for me to be a part of it."

And about number five...

"It was brought to my attention that obviously this has always been a special number in this town and I recognize that as much as anybody ..." Baldelli said. "I accept it and I think it’s great and I am very happy about it."

And now on to John Smoltz. Smoltz issued a statement through his agent and said he had little choice except to talk with other teams after hearing what the Braves planned to offer. Here it is, in part...

‘‘I was going to withhold comment until the announcement of my signing with a new team, but I now feel the need to clear up any misconceptions and inaccuracies about the contract negotiations between myself and the Atlanta Braves,’’ he said. ‘‘There were large discrepancies between the offer from the Braves and offers from other teams. I have always loved the city of Atlanta, and it will always be my home," Smoltz said in his statement. "I will cherish my 21 years with Bobby Cox and all my Braves' teammates. I continue to wish the Atlanta Braves nothing but success in the future."

Peter here. Baldelli will make a base salary of $500, 000 with incentives which could baloon that figure to $2.25 million. I hope he gets it all. The Smoltz money details have not been made official, but some wire services report a base salary of approximately $5 million with performance incentives that could double it. Bon chance, John.

That's a wrap for now. You can click on the title of this post to go to the Boston Globe Red Sox homepage. There are a lot of great articles there. As always, BE WELL. Shalom. Aloha. Ciao.

5 Comments:

At 1/09/2009 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday, mid-morning. The previously gorgeous and clear day has become cloudy and threatening. The forecast, if correct, is not good. This morning, news headlines from several sports sources indicate the Sox are not interested in keeping a .330 hitter named Sean Casey, and are looking to re-sign a .220 "hitter" (the term is loosely applied) named Mark Kotsay. I gag.

Did Theo Epstein use up all his smarts in his latest acquisitions? Has dementia invaded his otherwise sharp being? Is he nuts?

This is all Terry Francona's doing...he of the shiny head and the obsession with "quick feet". That's what he raved about last season when he used Kotsay as a first baseman. Who cares about quick feet? Especially when the feet support a wuss of a hitter? We need Casey. No question, no doubts. This is terrible. Somebody simply must start an investigation. Our society is in mortal danger. Forget Whitey Bulger, this is critical.

Peter...do something.

 
At 1/09/2009 12:10 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Casey has already left...he either filed for free agency or retired. The Sox will sign Kotsay to be the backup first baseman. Guaranteed. The reports on Mike Lowell are all great, too. Youk at first, Pedey at second, Lowell at third, and whoever at shortstop. That's all I know.

I don't think that I can do ANYTHING except write what I think will happen. You're the best, jb418. I thank you for your great comments. I MEAN that! Peter

 
At 1/09/2009 12:12 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I think that Tito Francona has been the best MLB manager there has been in the last 4 plus years. He juggles, we win!

 
At 1/09/2009 2:56 PM, Blogger Suldog said...

I love the acquisition of Baldelli. Nice guy, local, talented, what's not to like?

 
At 1/09/2009 4:20 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sul, I like, too! Have a great weekend! Snow tomorrow night here in north central CT. 9-11 inches by Sunday noon...geez! Enough already...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home