Friday, January 09, 2009

KOTSAY BACK For The Red Sox...Smoltz Next...For Sure...Any Day Now

This just in from the Boston media...it's Peter at 4:30pm est Friday...

"After adding one role player yesterday by signing outfielder Rocco Baldelli to a one-year, $500,000 deal with incentives, the Red Sox are poised to add another soon. Mark Kotsay, whom the Sox obtained from Atlanta last August, has agreed in principle on a one-year deal to return to the club, pending a physical and completion of the contract. Kotsay will earn $1.5 million plus incentives.
This season, Kotsay is expected to serve as the Sox’ primary backup at first, as well as an extra outfielder (along with Baldelli) and left-handed pinch hitter."

That's it from here now...thanks for stopping in.

2 Comments:

At 1/10/2009 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm responding to this particular blog entry the morning after. No, I'm not hung over. Actually, I just returned from a breakfast egg with my youngest daughter and her son. I do love eggs. And breakfast. And hot dogs and beans. But I digress.

However...I really hate to be a voice of doom, but on occasion there arises a chindi (I've read all of Tony Hillerman) in our midst. This particular chindi is named Mark Kotsay.

We can only base our opinions on history, and this guy's history is as sorry as the Italian Air Force in WW2. He's a disaster. To even contemplate using him as THE left handed pinch hitter or "bat off the bench" is ludicrous. Doesn't Theo or Terry have a glimmer of why Bobby Cox let him go last August? Of why he cleared waivers so easily? HE CANNOT HIT. I don't care what Francona says...the last time a pair of quick and shimmering feet meant anything they belonged to Gene Kelly and he was singing "Singin' In The Rain".

Also, to this business of any importance of which side of the plate a man swings from, I say balderdash. A hitter swings at strikes and if he's ready...truly ready...a strike is only defined by a circle of about 20 inches diameter, between his knees and half the distance between his belt and his armpits. (this basic definition always seemed to elude Jason Varitek). It never mattered to Ted or Yaz or Wade or Dixie Walker or Carl Furillo or Jackie Robinson or even Nomar. Give me a break...good hitters will hit any pitcher. And Mark Kotsay is as far from being a good hitter as I am for being named sexiest man in Hartford County.

 
At 1/10/2009 10:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Funny stuff, jb. I think the Sox will trade a young pitcher for a great catcher...just my thought. And I hope Youk and Lowell at the corners can play 140 plus games.
Have a great soon to be snowy Saturday late afternoon, night into Sunday noonish. I think I'll have some eggs! I will!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home