Tuesday, February 10, 2009

AROD Speaks To ESPN

In a face up interview with ESPN, Alex Rodriguez admits that he knowingly took steriods from 2001 to 2003. That's a long time ago...has he been clean since then? Here's part of what he had to say...
****************
"I was young, I was stupid, I was naive," he told ESPN's Peter Gammons. "I wanted to prove to everyone that I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time. I did take a banned substance, and for that I'm very sorry. I have millions of fans who will never look at me the same," Rodriguez mused emotionally in the ESPN interview, adding that he would be "really pissed off" if he were one of them."
****************
Former Red Sox pitcher John Burkett (remember him?) had this to say...
****************
"I feel terrible for guys like Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Willie Stargell, and Frank Robinson who set all those records, and now these guys who have cheated are surpassing them," said former Red Sox pitcher John Burkett, who faced Rodriguez from 1996 to 2003. "It's a shame."
*****************
When AROD took the performance enhancing drugs, he was playing for the Texas Rangers for a ton, wait, maybe five tons of money. Rangers owner Tom Hicks, at least right now, is NOT a happy guy. Here are some of his words...
****************
"I feel personally betrayed; I feel personally deceived by Alex," Hicks told reporters in a conference call. "He assured me that he had far too much respect for his own body to ever do that to himself . . . If he's now admitting that he started using when he came to the Texas Rangers, why should I believe that it didn't start before he came to the Texas Rangers?
****************
Way to say what you think, Tom. Maybe you should have assembled a better pitching staff all those seven years ago instead of loading up on the bats and trying to score ten runs per game. How many times did the Rangers score six to eight runs in a losing cause? The answer...too many times to count. But that's off the point.

Here are my feelings...I know you've been waiting with bated breath (not). I am not a fan of Alex Rodriguez. That'll never happen. Things might have been quite different had the proposed trade to the Red Sox happened. I remember an interview on the streets of New York City with AROD for the TODAY SHOW. He was holding a Boston cap in his hand. But it was not to be. He ended up with the pinstripers and the rest is history. At least he admitted his use of performance enhancing drugs. I am including the link to that audio/video interview. Just click on this post's title WITH your computer's audio on. Now. Your comments are always welcome and, as always, BE WELL. That's the most important thing. It really is. Happiness and health. L'chaim (to life). Click on the title to watch the eight minute interview.

5 Comments:

At 2/10/2009 10:05 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

He lied on 60 Minutes, so why should we believe him now?

I liked how he avoided saying part of the reason he took PEDs was to justify his salary. He almost says it, but changes direction.

This whole generation of ballplayers has lost all credibility.

 
At 2/10/2009 10:31 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I know...wow. Not everyone is guilty, except, MAYBE, by association.

Great to hear from you....I hope you watched the ESPN interview. Pete

 
At 2/10/2009 6:33 PM, Blogger Moose said...

A-Rod....and why'd they get John Burkett quotes? Well, I didn't quite appreciate Burkett when he pitched for the BoSox . . .

 
At 2/10/2009 8:28 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Moose, I was never a fan of Burkett...it was a relevant quote, I thought. Have a great night...Burkett was never a good person in my mind.

 
At 2/10/2009 8:32 PM, Blogger Moose said...

I don't know about Burkett the person (I was 6/7/8 when he played for us) but I do know that he wasn't a very good pitcher. The good wishes are right back at you, Peter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home