Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It's Lugo Vs. Lowrie In Epic SS Battle

The Boston Red Sox have started spring training with two shortstops who want to be out in the field every day. When Lugo, who was injured throughout most of the 2008 season, was asked who the starting shortstop will be, he said this...

“You’re looking at him. Like I said before, they know what’s going on," said Lugo, referring to the Red Sox. “They know how it’s done. It’s one of those things I’m not going to make a decision on. Every year’s a new beginning. Whatever you did last year doesn’t mean anything any more. I don’t worry about that. I just come here and do what I do, play baseball the best I can. I can’t make those decisions. They know what they’re going to get from me. This is not my first rodeo."

Julio, you sound pretty cocky, don't you? Jed Lowrie, the other piece of the puzzle, said this when asked the same question...

“Julio sees himself as the shortstop and I see myself as the shortstop, and I think that’s fun,” Lowrie said. “It’s not like a personal battle between Julio and me. This is a challenge, it’s a competition to make this team better. And so I welcome it, because it’s always a competition. Even if you’re an established guy there’s always going to be someone there trying to take your job.”

So the battle lines are drawn and the combatants are ready. One of them will be the starting everyday shortstop for the Boston Red Sox. The other will sit on the bench a lot and fill in when needed. Or something like that. It's said that a player should not lose his starting job because of an earlier injury, but it happens. And it'll happen again. And again. May the best man win.

Thanks for stopping in on this cold Tuesday morning. I appreciate every one of you. You can click on this post's title to be zapped to the Red Sox SI page. As always, BE WELL. See ya.

8 Comments:

At 2/17/2009 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julio Lugo can be a very valuable member of the Sox this year. We know he's only an average infielder, an only average hitter, but he does hit better than some guys who garner all the headlines and anxieties about being re-signed. Julio can also throw out most of the runners he is tested by, better than some guys who garner, etc, etc.

He could also be a backup corner outfielder, and could also play 3rd and 2nd if called upon. Oh, I know weeping Nellies will immediately point out how different it is to switch positions, as though secret initiations and resumes are required. We're talking about professional ballplayers who have been making a living at the game for ten and more years. If they haven't paid attention to the other spots on the diamond and what is required of each position, then they shouldn't be paid more than the beer hawkers in the stand. Unless your initials are M.R., who nearly had a heart attack a few years ago when he was asked to switch from right to left field. Remember? Who was it who said, "Outfielders ought to pay their way into the ballpark."?

But, back to Senor Lugo. The man is on the payroll, so use him. Just not at starting shortstop, where Mr. Lowrie will be holding forth for the next several years. Recall when John Valentin grumped about moving to 2nd when Nomar came up? That worked out, didn't it? So...Julio Lugo is first off the bench for at least six different positions. (Eww...look at that basketball phrasing).

Also, Peter, let me know when/if you'd like another brain twister to liven up the spring. My gray cells are working overtime here.

Slan agat.

 
At 2/17/2009 9:08 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

You see, JB? You should write your own blog.

Brain twisters are great! I mean that. Thanks for everything. Check out my latest post and visit the blog that it was about. The author is SO great. The reading is, too. Just click on the title of that Tuesday post. BE WELL.

 
At 2/17/2009 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, here's another of our widely acclaimed brain twisters.

Mike Lowell takes a day off, Youk moves over to 3rd, Twinkle Toes takes over at first. Oh, just think for a minute. Twinkle Toes...Mark Kostay...Francona's favorite foot shuffler.

Batter hits a one-hopper to Youk, who scoops it up and fires a waist-high, perfect strike to Kostay, beating the runner by 2 steps. Who proceeds to drop the throw. For no good reason. Simply drops the bloody throw. Maybe he was busy shuffling around the bag or something. Anyway, runner is safe. Error, first base.

Now, here's the twister. Does Youk get an assist? No put-out. What say you?

 
At 2/17/2009 11:14 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

I wonder what kind of team unrest there will be if Lugo has to sit and Jed is our starter. He says he wants to be traded if he's not the starter, but I don't think we can get a bag o' balls for him.

JB, you're gonna make us official scorers here before the season starts. Hell, I don't know the answer, so I'll guess yes. I bet Twinkle Toes would drop the ice cream out of his Dairy Queen cone, too.

 
At 2/17/2009 12:10 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

It's an error...no ifs ands or buts. No assist, no way...am I right?

Please keep us all in suspense, JB...you always do, and I love it.

BFW??????

 
At 2/17/2009 12:13 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, MORE Dairy Queen?

As for Lugo and Lowrie, only time will tell. LUGO was useless last year, and when he was healthy, his throws to first base were erratic...at best. I cringed EVERY time, eyes closed.

 
At 2/17/2009 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, NitPickers and all you lovers of sublime trivia, here's the answer to out brain twisting question of the day.

Youk gets his assist. The guy on first has already been charged with an error, rightly so. The rule book specifically refuses to penalize a fielder for another's errors, stupidity, or miscues.

By the way, this is the only sport that so allows an assist when the goal, run, basket, play, or score is not completed. Maybe because baseball has a whacky mindset, whereby the defense has the ball all the time. And, before several unkind people note that I must love baseball because it is whacky, thus being whacky myself, I say, "Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!"

So, there! Slan agat.

 
At 2/17/2009 3:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

JB, one thing you're NOT is whacky. Consider myself educated...an error does not negate an assist. I think!

AROD made an even bigger fool of himself this afternoon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home