Monday, May 18, 2009

Ninth Inning Error Dooms Red Sox...Seattle 3 Boston 2

A well pitched game by Justin Masterson and the effective Sox bullpen was all for naught Sunday afternoon in Boston's final West coast game of the year. Hard to believe that one...but it's true. No more trips to the left coast. Texas, yes, but in sight of the Pacific...nope. Shortstop Nick Green's ninth inning error on a routine grounder turned into the winning run for the Seattle Mariners in a 3-2 win over the Sox. Green said this after the game. He was subdued, to say the least...

“I had a good grip on it,” said a dejected Green, who flubbed a grounder in the sixth for another error. “I threw it away, I just threw it away. It happens. Do I want it to happen? No. Obviously it happened at the wrong time, so what are you going to do? I’ve been trying to slow things down. I slowed it down too much. I took my time, but I got a little lazy and didn’t come back over the top of the ball. It sucks to happen, but it did.”

Boston has commited more errors at the shortstop position than any other team in baseball. Some, like yesterday's, can be game breakers. Justin Masterson pitched well enough to win but runs have been hard to come by these days without Papi and Youk in the lineup. Papi will be back in there tomorrow for the opening game of a Fenway Park ten game homestand, first against AL East leader Toronto. Boston will then play three against the Mets and end the wonderful and hopefully productive homestand with four against the Minnesota (hi Nadia!) Twins. Youk WILL PLAY with Pawtucket today in preparation for his soon-to-be return, hopefully on Wednesday. When your leading hitter (two with Papi) is not in the lineup, it's tough.

I hope you have a great Monday and enjoy the Red Sox day off. I know they will. They're still sleeping...in their own beds. That's a good thing. Hats off to the Boston Celtics for giving it their all, two game sevens included. Without KG, they're not the Celtics we've known over the past two years. I'm rooting for the Cavaliers...anyone but the Lakers. I remember the Magic/Bird wars all too much...good times every damn game. As always, BE WELL. Click on this post's title for more Sox stuff. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At 5/20/2009 6:30 AM, Anonymous Louise said...

Red Sox should be competitive enough to keep pace with the others...all information about Red Sox can also be found at:
http://www.redsoxhome.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home