Friday, May 15, 2009

Papi-less Red Sox Fall To Angels 5-4

Big Papi David Ortiz seemed like a ghostly apparition yesterday in California, unable to connect bat and ball and going 0-7 while leaving 12 runners on base. He was surrounded by reporters in the clubhouse after the game while he was slowly getting dressed and said to them "I'm sorry, guys. I don't feel like talking right now. Just put down 'Papi stinks.' " Sadness, that's what hit me when I read that quote. But the numbers don't lie. He is currently batting .208 and was the last out of an inning a staggering four times, including with the bases loaded and two outs in the fourth. But redemption was near in the twelfth inning as he strode to the plate with the bases loaded and two outs in a 4-4 game. Sadly, he did not hit the ball past the pitcher's mound, slowly rolling it a few feet past the plate. Boston was retired and the Angels scored in the bottom of that frame to win it. Centerfielder Torii Hunter graciously had this to say about his ex-teammate...

"A guy like that who's big and strong, he's going to knock out eight home runs in 12 days somehow and he's going to catch up with everybody once he gets that swing down," said Hunter, Ortiz's teammate in Minnesota. "I'm almost 100 percent sure both those injuries have a lot to do with his homerless streak. When you have a wrist injury and a knee injury at the same time, it messes up your mechanics and you're trying to figure out ways to hit while you're hurting," Hunter added. "So you've got to tweak your swing - and that's not his swing. But he's going to be fine. I just told him, `Just go out there and do what you do, and at the end of the season watch what you have.'"

I know we ALL hope that our Papi will break out of his too-long funk with some deafening blasts and many explosive bangs. He's got to! On the bright side, Julio Lugo collected five hits and Pedey, in his first game back from an injury time out, collected four. In all, the Red Sox had fifteen hits but were unable to push across that go-ahead run in the late innings. Brad Penny had a near quality start, going six and a third innings and giving up four runs. Manny Delcarmen was the eventual loser, giving up the winning run while allowing two hits in one third of an inning. But my mind always returns to Big Papi and his evident frustration. David, it WILL get better and and we're all behind you. We always will be.

Click on the title of this post for more Red Sox details. Boston starts a three game set with the Seattle Mariners and the pitching matchups go like this...

Jon Lester (2-3 6.31) vs. Charis Jakubauskas (1-4 7.67) tonight
Josh Beckett (3-2 6.42) vs. Erik Bedard (2-1 2.53) Saturday
Justin Masterson (2-2 4.89) vs. Jason Vargas (1-0 1.04) Sunday

The Boston starters MUST lower those ERA numbers, starting today. The bullpen is literally carrying the team...that won't work for long.

I hope your Friday will be a terrific one and as always, BE WELL. See ya soon. Your comments are always welcome and always answered. Thanks. GO SOX. Forever.

8 Comments:

At 5/15/2009 10:47 AM, Anonymous Bottom Line Rob said...

Seattle's struggling... let's hope the starters can take advantage.

And Papi too...

 
At 5/15/2009 10:51 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

Hey Peter, I'm not quite ready to throw Papi under the bus yet. I figure he has no where to go but up. I can't lie, I was aggrevated with him yesterday. I still think that he still has some pop in his bat. He will get it turned around (I hope). Anyway, I was wondering what year the DH rule came into effect? I was watching a replay of the '75 World Series (as painful as it was) and I noticed that Luis Tiant was batting at the Fens. That kind of surprised me. I figured the DH rule had been around longer than that. Well here's to a sweep at Safeco. Take care buddy.

 
At 5/15/2009 2:49 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi to both of you.

BLR, I DO hope the Sox will put up many crooked numbers and climb back into first but the starters, who have the WORST ERA in baseball, must function better. By far. Bigtime.

Phillip. by no means was I throwing Papi anywhwere...I love the guy and I know he'll hit his way out of this.

The AL adopted the DH rule in 1973. LOOIE batted when the World Series games were in the NL city, Cincy. I saw the first two games at Fenway, a split. Looie is one of my all time favorite pitchers.

Thanks.

 
At 5/15/2009 3:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Phillip, gee, I'm stumped. If it was in the NL city, well, you know the way it goes with the DH. Thanks.....

Believe me, Looie would NEVER pinch hit! I'll do a little looking when I can, but El Tiante pinch hitting?? Uh-Uh.

Thanks for your great comments! Keep 'em coming, Phillip. Pete

 
At 5/15/2009 3:35 PM, Blogger Phillip said...

Peter, I was not saying that you were throwing Papi under the bus. Alot of people are. Tiant did bat in game 1 at the Fens. He led off the 7th with a single. The sox won 6-0. You are right about the year though. Well take care.

 
At 5/15/2009 3:36 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Philip, I think I accidently erased your comment, but I read it and responded to it. I don't know what happened...it's been a long day.

Keep up the good work and GO SOX.

 
At 5/15/2009 3:38 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

I was right 'cuz I was in the first row behind first base for game uno...Looie pitched a forever rememberable game. I went with my Mom. It was UNBELIEVABLE. A wow game.

Gotta go...thanks. P

 
At 5/15/2009 3:40 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Sox recent World Series....'67, '75, '86, '04, '07.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home