Monday, May 11, 2009

POP Go The Rays...

The pop that doomed the Tampa Bay Rays was provided by eighth inning run scoring doubles from Big Papi David Ortiz and the white hot Jason Bay, the MVP of the American League so far. The score was knotted at three going to the bottom of the eighth and the Boston Red Sox were down to their last six outs. Papi's wall-scraper double was followed by a Jason Bay shot that easily scored Ortiz from third base. It was 4-3 good guys and Jonathon Papelbon strode to the mound. Immediate trouble followed. With two Boston teams victorious at that point last night, the Red Sox wanted to make it a trifecta. It wasn't easy. The tension mounted monumentally with runners at the corners and no outs in the top of the ninth. Paps went into his fifth gear, striking out Carlos Pena, BJ Upton and the always tough Carl Crawford on 95 plus MPH four-seamers. It was the first series win for the Sox over the Rays in seven tries. FINALLY. Paps put it like this after the successful conclusion of this thrilling contest...

“I basically put myself in a situation where I had to go into punch-out mode,” Papelbon said. “That’s not always the situation I want to be putting myself in, but it is what it is. I always know that gear is there. Just when do I need to bring it out?”

Jonathon, your timing was perfect last night in front of a national audience who were glued to their widescreens. Big Papi chipped in with this...

“I’ll take my chances with Pap anytime,” said designated hitter David Ortiz, whose double in the eighth started the winning rally. “He knows how to get it done. He’s unbelievable.”

I'm with Papi. Josh Beckett was able to go six full, allowing six hits and three earned runs while striking out five and walking three. Hideki Okajima was superb in the 'pen, going 1 2/3 scoreless innings. Ramon Ramirez followed him and earned the victory with his 1/3 of an inning of work and then came Paps for the ninth inning and all its drama. Boston gets a day off today before beginning a three game set on the left coast with the LA Angels. I'll have the pitching matchups tomorrow morning, first thing.

Dustin Pedey Pedroia aggravated a strained right groin but should be back in a couple of days. He joins Kevin Youkilis on the bench...Youk should be back any day. After all, they're the heart of the Boston offense, but on the bright side, the club is winning. Click on this post's title for more Sox news and as always, be well. Have a great Monday and leave a comment if you'd like. I read every one of 'em. See you soon, real soon. GO SOX.

2 Comments:

At 5/11/2009 11:10 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

Hey Peter, Great post again. Its good to be free from those pesky Rays. How are the Angels looking this year? Can't be tougher than than the last team. I hate the West coast games because they run so late. Can't complain you are a hour ahead of me. Go Sox!!!

 
At 5/11/2009 3:15 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Phillip, I'm glad we won't see those Rays again for a while. The Angels can REALLY hit but their pitching staff isn't the same as in '08. Any west coast trip is tough on the teams from way over here in the east.

Thanks for another great comment. I'm so glad it's a day off...I need it!!

Take care, Phillip. Peter. GO SOX...forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home