Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Red Sox Power Their Way To Another Victory Over The Yankees...Boston 6 NYY 4

The Boston Red Sox pushed their 2009 record against the New York Yankees to 4-0 with a 6-4 victory Monday night. The game was delayed more than two hours by rain but they got the game in and the good guys won. Jon Lester pitched seven effective innings, giving up his three runs in the fifth inning. He allowed six hits, walked two and struck out TEN. Great job, Jon, and at the perfect time against the perfect foe. The bullpen took over from there with Ramon Ramirez going only one third of an inning and Jonathon Papelbon earning his seventh save. He recorded the last five outs. The final out came with the bases loaded and Robinson Cano at the plate. Paps struck him out. It was another longer than normal outing for Jonathon but he continues to get the job done. Manager Terry Francona had a few words to say after the game...

“I was pleased,” said Sox manager Terry Francona. “It was a long day. We went out with a lot of energy, it ends up being a great night. It was late but it was a good night.”

Late and great...that's a good combination except for early risers like me. I only saw the first couple innings and then I listened to WTIC on the radio until I fell asleep. Big Papi David Ortiz apparently likes the new Stadium...he had two resounding doubles. Jason Bay clubbed a crucial two run home run after the Yankees came within one run and Mike Lowell, who always seems to hit well against the pinstriped ones, contributed two RBIs. Jason Bay said this about his sweet tater...

“I’m glad it stayed fair,” Bay said of the homer. “The Yankees came back. It was a good game, but it gave us more breathing room.”

I like breathing room and the Toronto Blue Jays have less of it. They lost last night, moving Boston to within one game of them in first place. There's another game tonight in the Bronx with Josh Beckett, who is WAYYY due for a great outing, going against Joba Chamberlain. Kevin Youkilis had to leave last night's game with some tightness in his back but we all know he'll be in there to face Joba. The two are not actually that fond of each other, and I put that mildly. I hope to see Youk in there...he and Pedey are the heart and soul of our offense.

Enjoy tonight's festivities as the Boston Red Sox try to keep their 2009 record against the Yankees a perfect one. Game time will be same, shortly after 7pm EDT. As always, BE SAFE. I'll be seeing you...soon. Your comments are welcome and I'll read every one of 'em. Promise. Click on the title of this post for more about the Sox from the Boston Globe. Have a terrific Tuesday...make the most of it.

GO SOX. Now and forever.

3 Comments:

At 5/05/2009 6:36 PM, Blogger Phillip said...

Hey Peter, Why in the world do we lose 3 of 4 to the Rays and then they lose to the Orioles? This blows my mind. Maybe we wore them down so that Baltimore can get the win. Will be watching the Sox go for 5 in a row tonight. Did see where Youk is kind of banged up. Hope its nothing serious. Check back with you later.

 
At 5/06/2009 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
I haven't forgotten you. Or that I owe you part three. My daughter had an accident in her dorm room and was laid up for a while. She all better now and I have made my first timid steps back to my blog. How lost I was as how to start. So many miss-steps. But I am back and I promise I am working on Bad Boyfriend. How it could ever hold up to anyone expectations after all this time I cannot imagine. But you are good to put up with me.
Oh and...
Yankees S@ck! I hate it when they hit one of our guys.
Go Sox!

 
At 5/06/2009 6:54 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And we did it, Phillip. 5-0. About the Rays and O's, the Rays play the Sox tough, especially at the Trop. I hate that place!!

Hi BHW. I'm so glad your daughter in OK. She's the most important person to you. I'll be reading you soon...great to hear from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home