Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Boston Red Sox Smash Washington Gnats...Boston 11 Washington 3

The Boston Red Sox, aided by a six run eighth inning, smashed the Nats (yes, I know I misspelled the abbreviation of Nationals in the title of this post) by a score of 11-3. The game was close until that eighth inning but two defensive plays loomed large in the end. Mike Lowell snared a scorching line drive that was destined to end up in the leftfield corner and doubled off the runner. Nice, Mikey! It was web-worthy, just like Nick Green's somersaulting play he made on a Nick Johnson roller. He gloved it, tagged second while tumbling and rocketed his accurate-as-always throw to first. Here are some of his teammate's reactions. First up is the 4 for 4 Jacoby Ellsbury, one of the players of the game...

“There are little things that might not show up in a box score that might open up a game,” said center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, who went 4-for-4 with a pair of triples. “That’s the kind of stuff we stress. It might not show up in the box score, but it shows up in the win column.”

Kevin Youkilis had a one word description of the play. It says it all...

"WOW."

Hey Nick, nice play. Let's hear from you...

“I tried to hold on to the base with my foot, but my momentum pulled me off,” Green said. “It kind of rolled me into Guzman and then I tried to make the play at first. Everything rolled in sync, so I was able to make the play. You’ve seen me play long enough,” he said with a smile. “Sometimes I make the wrong decision, but sometimes I make the right decision. Tonight I made the right decision.”

Mikey? Whay say you...

“Greenie’s play was awesome,” Lowell gushed. “I didn’t think he had a chance to tag the guy. Then I see the umpire pointing and tagging and he somersaults it. On top of that, he’s got a great arm. He throws a bullet to first every time. I really enjoy watching him throw.”

Don't we all, Mr. Lowell. Brad Penny ended up going 5 2/3 innings, giving up three runs on six hits, walking an uncharacteristic three and whiffing six. The Boston bullpen took over from there and Delcarmen, Okajima, Saito and Bard put up goose eggs and continued to shine, shine on all of Red Sox Nation, every one of us. They will carry us all season and post season long, into the cool and colorful days of fall.

Tonight in the nation's capital it will be Jon Lester facing Craig Stammen, who has a record of 1-2 and an ERA of 4.76. As long as we get to the National's bullpen, we'll be OK. Coupled with another Yankee's loss, the AL East lead has mushroomed to FIVE GAMES. Nice!

Have a great Hump Day Wednesday and as always, BE WELL. I'll see you...soon. promise. Click on this post's title for more Sox comings and goings and leave a comment or three.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home