Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Matsuzaka Good Enough In Red Sox Win

Daisuke Matsuzaka pitched five one run six hit innings and threw 96 pitches to garner his first victory of the season against three losses. It was Boston's second road win in a row and they were able to stay one game behind the New York Yankees, a team that will be visiting Fenway Park next week. They're a hot ballclub, but enough about them. Jason Bay hit a third inning two run tater that broke a 1-1 tie and they never trailed again. The last four innings were handled by Manny Delcarmen, Hideki Okajima and Ramon Ramirez. They did not allow a single hit, but when Papelbon came in to pitch the ninth, he was greeted by three singles as he had trouble with his location and threw a few hittable balls. They were hit. But he regrouped and retired the side without any Tiger coming near home plate. Here's what Daisuke had to say after the game...

“For a starting pitcher, getting that first win is so important because it kind of marks the beginning of the season in a way,” Matsuzaka said. “I was finally able to get my first win today and I finally feel like I can get the season going.”

Another road victory tonight would be sweet indeed as Josh Beckett, coming off a stellar start last time, faces Armando Galarraga. The first pitch will be thrown at 7:05pm EDT. Be there...I will...on NESN HD, of course.

In other Sox news, John Smoltz joined his team in Detroit and threw a side session in preparation for his Friday start for Pawtucket. Boston manager Terry Francona said he's getting closer to pitching for the big club but I don't expect that to happen until the end of June...if everything goes smoothly. As to who will be dropped from the rotation to make room for him, that's a question with no answer...not right now. And don't forget about Clay Buchholz, who recently had a perfect game through eight innings while pitching for Pawtucket. He's waiting in the wings, too. I like Boston's wings.

I'm running late so I'll wrap this up right now. I hope your Tuesday will be a great one through and through. I'll be picking up my girlfriend Nadia at the Hartford bus station at 3pm EDT today and I can't wait to see her. So much to do, so little time to it. But I'll start right now. As always, BE WELL. I'll see ya...soon. Click on the title for more about the Sox and their win in the Motor(less) City.

3 Comments:

At 6/03/2009 10:58 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

Great post Peter. I am glad that Nadia will be back in town. Dice K got the win but it was not that pretty. I am eager to see Beckett tonight. I also think that Ellsbury need to be back on the top of the line up. What do you think?

 
At 6/03/2009 11:21 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

W E L C O M E

B A C K

N A D I A!

 
At 6/03/2009 1:49 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks, Phillip...I'm ready for Josh too! The lineup right now (except for Papi) is working...I think. We'll see.

Thanks BFW...I miss her so so much. She'll be here in Hartford at 4pm. I'll be there waiting.

Both of you are the best...you made me smile. Pete

 

Post a Comment

<< Home