Saturday, July 04, 2009

Tim Wakefield Sets The Boston Red Sox Starting Pitching Apearance Record In A Losing Cause...Seattle 7 Boston 6

One foot, one darn foot and Nick Green's eighth inning wall-banging double would have carried OVER the Wall and into the seats, putting the Red Sox ahead by a run with Papelbon ready for the ninth instead of tying the game, a game that the Boston Red Sox were defeated by the Seattle Mariners by a score of 7-6 in eleven innings. Instead, Nick's double plated two and led to extra innings. IT ALMOST WENT OUT, but almost isn't good enough in baseball or anything. Nick said this after the game ended...

“I was hoping, but I hit it too high,” he said. “It stinks, because it would have been the ballgame. At least I hit it decent enough to tie the game.”

The Red Sox ended up losing in eleven innings when a Ramon Ramirez pitch, a changeup that he left up in the strike zone, was belted into the rightfield corner by Woodward. RR explained...

“I was trying to throw a changeup down and I left it up and he hit it,” Ramirez said. “That happens in this game. One mistake. Every time I go out there I give it 100 percent, but sometimes things happen.”

Tim Wakefield set the Boston Red Sox record by appearing in his 383rd start, more than any Sox pitcher in history. He also had a few words to say after his quest for his eleventh win went by the boards...

“It was a pretty special night for me tonight,’’ Wakefield said. “It means I’ve been here a long time and been given the opportunity and been blessed to be healthy for as long as I have,’’ Wakefield said. “The organization has been giving me the ball this long. And I’m very, very thankful for that.’’

We all love Timmy but he didn't have enough on this particular night. Coupled with the Yankees victory, what once was a five game lead in the AL East is down to two. Hey, don't worry, Boston is a solid team, top to bottom and in between. And there will be afternoon baseball at Fenway today when Brad Penny will face the lefty Garrett Olson. I think they'll win the next two and earn another series victory. Jon Lester, untouchable as of late, will toe the rubber on Sunday so it's up to Mr. Penny.

I want to wish every one of you a happy and healthy Fourth of July Independance Day holiday as our country celebrates another anniversary. Be safe and as always, BE WELL. Click on the title of this post for more details about last night and leave a comment if you can. I'll see you soon...that's a promise. Buckle up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home