Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fists Fly In Red Sox Win...Boston 7 Detroit 5

The Detroit Tigers jumped quickly to a 3-0 advantage Tuesday night at Fenway Park. Only one of those runs was earned off Red Sox starter Junichi Tazawa, who pitched well, well enough to stay right where he is. In the second, down by three runs, the fireworks started. Kevin Youkilis was facing Tiger starter Rick Porcello. He was hit on the back by a pitch and glared before rushing towards the mound like a middle linebacker. He threw his helmet at Porcello and tried to bring him down. That was when all hell broke loose. Boston GM Theo Epstein had this to say...

“He’ll be suspended, I’m sure,’’ general manager Theo Epstein acknowledged in the clubhouse after midnight. “He was thrown at. He’s been thrown at a lot. Hopefully, Major League Baseball suspension czar Bob Watson will take all the factors into consideration. Hopefully it will be for a short period and our depth will pull us through.’’

And here's the man himself, our very own Kevin "the bull" Youkilis...

“In the first inning there was a ball up on Victor,’’ said Youkilis. “Then I got a ball up and in on the numbers. Up high. It looked like there was intent there. Two days in a row, I get hit. It’s something I’ve never done before and never thought of doing. I lost my control there . . . I felt like I had to do what I had to do. I definitely regret it,’’ he said. “It’s on TV and kids see it . . . It just happened so fast. You don’t realize what you’re doing. I guess they’re saying it got the team going, but hopefully I’ll never have to get a team going like that. Hopefully, it’s the last time it will happen. At some point you’ve got to protect yourself,’’ said a somewhat chagrined Youkilis. “ . . . I let my emotions get the best of me.’’

Well said, Youk, and I mean that straight from my heart. With the hole in the lineup, Red Sox skipper Terry Francona called on Mike Lowell, who quickly did some stretching and entered the game. It was a good thing, a VERY good thing. He ended up becoming the first Boston player since 1967 to hit two home runs coming off the bench. That 1967 player was our third baseman, Joe Foy, who was SO much fun to watch. Yes, I remember, I really do. Mikey has missed 5 of the last 10 games even though he has been hotter at the plate than most of his teammates. We'll see more of him if his hip allows. It will.

Junichi Tawazawa pitched well, allowing three runs, only one earned because of a Nick Green error and a botched double play. As I said before, look for him on the mound every five days. Cabrera, Saito and Bard followed with scoreboard goose eggs and Jonathon Papelbon had his now normal two run ninth. No comment about Paps...not right now. The Sox won their second in a row and stay 5 1/2 games behind the pinstripers.

Tonight, Josh Beckett will try to make it three in a row. He'll face Detroit's Galarraga. May the force be with them. For more on last night's literal fireworks, just click on this post's title. You'll be zapped to the Boston Globe's Red Sox homepage, a source of endless delight. Have a great Hump Day Wednesday and as always, BE WELL. I'd love to read your comments. Thanks for stopping by...what would I do without you?

5 Comments:

At 8/12/2009 11:09 AM, Blogger Phillip said...

There were all kinds of stuff going on last night. Youk had just had enough. I would love to know what Tito said as he was walking off to get thrown out. Ells played some good defense last night. He is fun to watch. I think that Edwin Jackson has an axe to grind with the Sox. Maybe its because Boston drills his ass everytime they face him. Well it should be 3 in a row after tonight. Beckett has really been alot of fun to watch also. GO SOX!!!

 
At 8/12/2009 11:27 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Whew! Lots of excitement last night. I was just glad to see the Sox come back (thanks Bay & Lowell) and win. I think Beckett is a lot of fun to watch, too, especially when he gets another win.

So, Smoltzy cleared waivers. If Theo can't make a good trade for him, I think he should be sent to the minors and get him relief-ready for a September call up. After all, the Sox should try and squeeze out every little bit of good left in him for all the millions they're paying him.

 
At 8/13/2009 7:02 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And it WAS 3, with a visit from the REM man thrown in. Sweet! Thanks Phillip.

BFW, Smoltz balked at moving to the 'pen so I have no idea what will happen from here. Beckett was superb on his way to 20 plus wins and a Cy Young.

 
At 8/13/2009 10:02 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

So much for Smoltz saying he wanted to help this club win a championship any way he can - lip service. He talked his way into millions of dollars and that's all it was, talk.

 
At 8/13/2009 3:34 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I think Smoltzie knows he doesn't have it and wants to forgo further embarassment. Who knows?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home