Saturday, August 01, 2009

A Game-Saving Catch By Jacoby Ellsbury...Boston 6 Baltimore 5

The Boston Red Sox came back to earn a victory over the Baltimore Orioles Friday night. The final score was 6-5. John Smoltz struggled yet again in his seventh 2009 start, giving up eight hits and five earned runs in six innings. He has not yet had a "quality" start. But superstar in the making Jacoby Ellsbury was there to save the game. It was the sixth inning and Aubrey Huff had just hit a two run tater off Smoltz when Luke Scott creamed a ball to straight centerfield. Spiderman Ellsbury climbed the wall to make a supersonically unbelievable catch. Here are his words...

“Running back on it, I’m hoping it’s not too far out,” Ellsbury said. “I knew it would be close to the wall. Then the ball started tailing back toward center. I had a good bead on it and I thought I was going to catch it in front of me, but it ended up tailing back and being more difficult. That’s one of those fun plays for an outfielder. It’s a good feeling to take that one away.”

If you have a chance to see the NESN one hour game replay at 8AM EDT, DO IT! That catch is worth the price of admission all by itself. It's 7:54am right now and that's what I'm going to do. Jacoby's pitcher had a few words to say...

“I told him it’s the best catch I’ve seen in a very, very long time,” Smoltz said. “This park is a dangerous park for a fly-ball pitcher. When he made that play, obviously we can look back and say that was the game-winner.”

And the Red Sox skipper spoke about how his team NEVER gives up. Here you go...

“It was kind of an emotional day, all the way around, after an emotional day yesterday,’’ manager Terry Francona said. “I guess the feeling in the dugout, as a staff, we appreciate it. They just keep grinding. And it’s not always perfect, but they just keep grinding.’’

Tito, you're right, it ain't perfect but this 2009 Boston Red Sox team ain't ever going to give up. Hey, I used my best English. That's all I can do. Coupled with another Yankee loss that showcased their lack of pitching, Boston is a scant 1 1/2 games behind in the AL East. The lumber has returned, Victor Martinez will be on the Camden Yard field tonight IN a Red Sox uniform and it'll be Beckett, hotter than anyone on any mound, facing Hernandez. May the Good Guys win once again. They will.

Have a great Saturday and a terrific weekend. Click on the title for more Sox stuff from SI and as always, BE WELL I love it when you leave a comment or three. See ya...soon. GO SOX. I'll say it again...GO SOX!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 8/01/2009 12:41 PM, Blogger Michael Leggett said...

https://www.createspace.com/pub/community/give.review.do?id=1059365

It's my 1st Novel-give it a read;

Thanks!

 
At 8/02/2009 7:49 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I will, I will. Great to hear from you Michael.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home