Friday, November 13, 2009

Halladay Musings. That's All They Are...For Now

The Toronto Blue Jays' general manager has spoken out about his star pitcher, Roy "Doc" Halladay. He mentioned the Boston Red Sox in his comments. Alex Anthopoulos is his name and he said this. I'll be back with some thoughts of my own (once in a while, I come up with a few) after this...

"Now, if we had strictly apples and apples offers for Halladay, one from Boston, one from another team, it would not be Boston. If we made a deal we owe it to our fans to obtain the best deal possible," Anthopoulos told the Toronto Sun. "If we get the right package, we'll make the trade," Anthopoulos told the Toronto Sun. "It would be awfully narrow thinking of me to turn down the best offer because of the fact it came from within our division."

OK. I understand what he's saying...why trade one of the best pitchers in all of Major League Baseball to a team in your own division? Makes sense, doesn't it? But he DID say that if the deal was good enough, he would not rule it out. You know what I think? I going to tell you anyways. I really think that the Red Sox will focus on their outfield situation first. Clay Buchholz has been the centerpiece of any possible future deals involving young Sox pitchers. No way, Jose. The usual suspects, namely the world champion (uhh) Yankees, Phillies and Mets have been mentioned as possible bidders for the talented righty. Doc Halladay has a career record of 148-76 and a tremendous 3.43 ERA. Quite simply, he would be an asset to ANY team's rotation, even Boston's, a team that has five established starters who will be ready to go (barring injuries) next season. It all comes down to priorities...Boston must fill their void in left field first and foremost. The solutions to that are countless. And don't forget about Adrian Gonzales being a candidate for first base with Youk moving to third and one of the two Boston DH's (Mike Lowell and Big Papi David Ortiz) as possible trade material. I hate to say it but there's a chance.

Doc was the 2003 Cy Young Award winner, but that's enough about Halladay. I'd just love to see Jason Bay back in left hugging that Green Monster and hitting the round ball out of the Park, Fenway Park, MY ballpark. It was just announced that he won the 2009 Silver Slugger award, by the way.

It's another Friday. I hope you have a terrific weekend and as always, BE WELL. Click on the title of this post for more Boston Red Sox news and I thank you for stopping by yet again. See you...soon. That's it for post number 2298. 2300 is fast approaching. I can't believe it! But I love it. I love you too, my Constant Readers.

3 Comments:

At 11/13/2009 9:59 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

"Did you ever hear the story about him going fishing with Ted?"

Since you didn't answer this, I'll tell ya. Yaz liked to fish, so Ted invited him to his place in Florida. Yaz shows up bright & early with his pole & gear & a cooler. Ted asks him what's in the cooler and Yaz replies some beer. Ted says there won't be any drinking if you're going fishing with me. Yaz said "Bye", turned around and left.

 
At 11/14/2009 5:00 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Ha ha, I hadn't heard that! Good one!

 
At 11/14/2009 5:00 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks for the smile!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home