Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Joe Mauer American League MVP

Joe Mauer, the Minnesota Twins terrific catcher, was the near unanimous choice for the American League Most Valuable Player award. It was a good choice. He became the first AL player to lead the league with an average of .335 and an on-base percentage of .587 since George Brett did the trick in 1980. Mauer received 27 of 28 first place votes. When asked where he would like to go next in his career, he instantly said this...

"World Series," Mauer quickly answered. "That's where I want to be."

He will be in the final year of a ten year contract and probably will become a free agent in 2011. I'm sure every major league team would love to have him playing behind the plate wearing their uniform but the price will be high, astronomically stupendous, in fact. He's one guy who happens to be worth every offered penny. In fact, Twins General Manager Bill Smith had this to say...

"He's a once-in-a-lifetime type of player," Smith said.

I would have to agree and my congratulations go out to him. Hmm, I wonder if the Red Sox will go after him when he becomes a free agent in 2011. Nah, not with Victor Martinez. They need other players in other positions, starting now as the 2009 hot stove warms up crock-pot style, slow and easy, bubble by slow bubble.

I hope your Tuesday will be a great one. Hump Day Wednesday and then the long weekend beckon (unless you work retail). I, for one, stay away from anyone selling anything on Black Friday weekend. But that's just me. Click on this post's title for the SI dot com Boston Red Sox home page and as always, be well. Oh, one more quick thing. It's been SO long since I've seen more than one comment every few days. I'm so happy that you stop in and read my words and it would be SO nice to read and respond to yours. Thanks. I'll see you early Wednesday, if not sooner.

2 Comments:

At 11/24/2009 11:47 PM, Anonymous Mitch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/25/2009 5:13 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Spam, I'm pretty sure. If in doubt, throw it out, my 6th grade teacher always said. He was talking about cafeteria food, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home