Saturday, December 26, 2009

It's Been Almost 90 Years, Bambino

Michael K. Bohn, author and writer of this Boston Herald piece that appeared today, the day after Christmas, wrote about a sports happening of momentous proportions. My thanks go out to him.

So what happened on January 5, 1920? I'll tell you...the Boston Red Sox sold Babe Ruth to the NY Yankees for cash, cash the Boston owner sorely needed. A collosal mistake? I'd say it was the biggest boo-boo any sports owner ever committed, BAR NONE. January 5, 2010, which is coming up really soon, will mark ninety years since the Babe left Boston as a pitcher and went to NYC and became an outfielder and THE home run king. What might have been had he stayed in Boston? God only knows. He's the only one. Here's a blurb from the book, courtesy of Michael K. Bohn. Thanks, Michael...

***************

The following is an excerpt from "Heroes & Ballyhoo: How the Golden Age of the 1920s Transformed American Sports" by Michael K. Bohn:

"Ruth tipped his caddie as they walked from the 18th green toward the clubhouse. The Babe had just finished a golf game at Griffith Park, a public course located a few minutes from Hollywood. It was Sunday, January 4, 1920, and Ruth was enjoying his last few weeks on the West Coast before heading back to Boston with Helen. They had stayed after he concluded a series of exhibition games in November and December.

As he walked around the practice green, Ruth saw a short man on the clubhouse porch who looked a lot like the New York Yankees’ manager. The man approached Ruth. "I’m Miller Huggins, Babe. I’d like to talk to you." They had seen each other on the field every time the Red Sox and Yankees had played for the past two seasons, but Huggins introduced himself anyway..."

****************

If you click on this post's title, you'll be zapped to the entire article. It has much more of that important meeting between Huggins and the Babe, one of the deepest and darkest developments in Boston Red Sox history. But hey, we broke the curse 86 years later and now, even though the pinstripers are TEMPORARILY the world champions, the future remains bright. That's the way we want it, isn't it? Please click on this post's title for the entire article...you WILL enjoy.

I hope you and yours had a wonderful and safe Christmas Day. Be careful if you're going to be on the roads today or tomorrow. Return home safely. Thanks and as always, BE WELL. Click on that title! You'll be happy you did. See ya. Ho ho ho.

4 Comments:

At 12/26/2009 8:04 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

We had a wonderful Christmas Eve & Christmas with my brother, son and daughter's family. Today it's up to KC to see my other daughters and grandkids. I'll be safe driving through our winter wonderland and will be back to "see you" Monday morning. I hope the rest of your holiday weekend is good, too.

 
At 12/27/2009 4:34 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Mine has been quiet, too quiet. Nadia is leaving this coming week...part of me will be happy and part sad. Safe trip, my friend.

 
At 1/09/2010 1:29 AM, Anonymous My Bambino said...

Great Post.....

I found your site on stumbleupon and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

Thanks for sharing....

 
At 1/09/2010 6:27 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hello to you, MB. I thank you for the very kind words. There's a little voice in my left ear and I just type what I hear. That's what it seems like sometimes.

Thanks for adding me to your RSS and have a great winter. Peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home