Saturday, December 12, 2009

No Panic Needed...Tiger's Statement

Nick Carfado of the Boston Globe wrote a piece yesterday on this year's off season transactions so far. In it, he noted that only a handful of teams did anything at all...yet. There is plenty of time and plenty of wheeling and dealing in store for the Boston Red Sox. Read this quick quote...

“Are Boston fans panicking about the Yankees getting Granderson?’’ asked a National League executive. “I don’t think they have to worry. When all is said and done, Boston will be the most active team. They always are.’’

Well, I hope he's right because the holes are there. I also think that trading Mike Lowell for a back-up catcher says a couple things. It says to me (and Carfado) that the Sox are confident of landing a third baseman (Beltre?) or a first baseman (Gonzales?). Add a left fielder and three arms and that would do it. Easier said than done, huh? It HAS to be done.

In other news in a different sport, Friday night Tiger Woods announced he will take an indefinite leave of absence from the golf tour. Here is his entire release...

***************

*I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.
I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.
After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.
Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period.

***************

I think he's doing the exact right thing...repairing his family. I applaud him. Yes, what he did was wrong. It would have been almost OK if he wasn't married with children, BUT HE WAS.

That's it for this Saturday morning. I hope your weekend will be a great one. It's cold here in north central Connecticut. The thermometer stands at thirteen degrees F. But it's warm in here and that's all that matters.

You can click on the title of this post for all the sports news from SI dot com and as always and forever, BE WELL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home