Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Red Sox Moving Pedroia To Shortstop??

Hello on this Hump Day Wednesday, the first one in December, my birthday month. I came across an article written by Peter Gammons over at ESPN dot com. I was surprised, to say the least, but after some semi-serious thought, I think the possible move makes a ton of sense for one or two years until phenom Jose Iglesias matures. Oh, by the way, that move is this...shifting Dustin "Pedey" Pedroia over to shortstop, a position the Boston Red Sox need to fill for the 2010 season. Here are some of Pedey's thoughts, courtesy of Mr. Gammons...

"They've asked me if I think I could play shortstop," Pedroia says. "They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for Tito [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it. One thing they know is that I will catch the ball," Pedroia says. Which, except for the final month and a half with Gonzalez, was not the case in 2009. You don't have to turn to John Dewan's Fielding Bible to know that shortstop was Boston's black hole until the purchase of Gonzalez. When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it," Pedroia says. "I'm excited. Tell Derek Jeter to enjoy the gold glove and silver slugger awards while he can."

Watch out, Sportsman of the Year (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) Derek Jeter. Pedey works out in the offseason and plays a ton of tennis to keep that keen eye/hand precision. He's tremendously quick with his reactions and has a super arm. Some people out there are saying that the Red Sox shouldn't mess with second base perfection but here's what I, just a fan, think. He can and will be just as good playing shortstop as he has been at second plus the six hole is crucial to the infield defense. That's our one and only Pedey. The Sox are worried about the Toronto Blue Jays shortstop, Scutaro, because of his plantar fasciitis, which would severely limit his range. Pedey was an all-American shortstop in college and with his supreme reflexes and speed and his ability to put the glove on the ball, Boston would be just fine. Better, in fact. We'll see what the club will do.

Thank you for stopping by once again. I love you for it. You can click on this post's title to read the entire ESPN Peter Gammons piece and as always, BE WELL. Please.

4 Comments:

At 12/02/2009 10:32 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Good thinking on the possibility of moving Pedey to SS. That makes the team very flexible to fill gaps & upgrade. The '10 Sox could look very different (at all four infield positions?) and I like that Pedey wants to get'em back where they belong.

Also, good-bye & good luck to Billy Wagner. It was fun while it lasted, it just didn't last long enough.

 
At 12/02/2009 3:09 PM, Anonymous Gerry said...

Makes sense to me. He came up as a SS, and I'm sure he can handle the position. I think it'll be easier to find a 2B.
The interesting thing will be to see whether it's long-term or short.

 
At 12/03/2009 4:18 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I'm hoping BW will be back. He's still unsure. Thanks.

Hello there Gerry. Yes, I was aware he was a top SS in college and with his reflexes and his ability to put the glove on the ball, he'll be just fine and our Sox will be better.

The club has Iglesias waiting and maturing for a couple more years so I hope Theo pulls the trigger on this move.

P.S. II'm still watching you every evening but sometimes I'm asleep by eleven. Maybe I'm getting old(er). Regards. Pete

 
At 12/03/2009 4:53 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

BFW, I just read that BW went to Atlanta. I led with it this AM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home