Sunday, February 21, 2010

Timmy Wakefield Wants IN!

When I say in, as the title says, I mean into the rotation as the number four or five guy. I agree with him 100%, 200% if that was possible. He's been with the team longer than anyone and does whatever he can to help the Boston Red Sox. The Sox without Wakes wouldn't BE the Sox. Period. Here's the man himself, freshly off back surgery. His disc problem crippled him last season. He tried to go out there but with a sciatic nerve being pinched by a bulging disc (I've been there before), one of his legs was useless. Helpless. Crippled.

“It was a hard winter for me, going to therapy five days a week, but my therapist in Florida did a great job getting me back to normalcy,” he said. “Being on the field today for the first time everything feels good. I was able to cover first and run around and throwing off the bullpen mounds. Everything feels great. No hiccups. Hopefully I can continue spring training on that same path. I think Theo Epstein, Terry Francona and pitching coach John Farrell all feel like we’re a better team with me in the rotation. I eat up innings. I do whatever it takes to help us win, and I think we agreed on that aspect. Obviously, they want to make sure I’m healthy. If I need some extra time I can take extra time. We have six weeks down here. I’ll be ready to roll by the time the season opens.”

As Timmy said, he's been going through helpful therapy and should be fine. Once the disc is removed and doesn't hit that sciatic nerve, the relief is instantaneous. The therapy is to strengthen the muscles in the affected leg. The pain he must have gone through is indescribably horrendous. BELIEVE ME. I KNOW!

I've always loved Wakes and I hope we'll see him every five days on the mound, where he belongs. Someone won't make that impressive rotation and I don't have a clue who that might be. Do you??

The national champion University of Connecticut women's basketball team trashed and thrashed Providence yesterday at the XL Center in Hartford and continued their dominance in the world of NCAA college basketball. They've won 66 games in a row, all by ten or more points. Well done, ladies! By the way, simply click on this post's title for all the Olympic coverage you'd ever want from SI dot com. Have a great Sunday and as always, BE WELL.

2 Comments:

At 2/21/2010 6:49 PM, Anonymous Terrence McCarthy said...

Will be checking out your blog often now that The Season looms. Interesting that Ellsbury's in left field. Heir to Williams and Yaz. Manny's tour of duty out there? Bad heir days indeed.

 
At 2/22/2010 5:45 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

HA HA...good one. I'll be here every day for every game and I thank you for popping in. Readership always zooms when the season begins. That's a good thing. Take care, TM.

Oh, Cameron is a natural centerfielder and one of the best. He'll be more at home there and Jacoby will have a great time in the small leftfield. I hope it doesn't take him too long to "learn" the Wall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home