Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Beckett Beauty..Pedey OK!

Boston Red Sox starter Josh Beckett, one of the team's aces, bounced back with a brilliant five innings of work yesterday in a 6-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates. In those five innings he whiffed nine, including seven of nine batters in one unbelievable stretch. He allowed zero runners to cross the plate while giving up three hits and two free passes. After those five frames he went out to the bullpen to get his pitch total to 95. Here he is...

"Every day’s getting better and today was by far my best day in two weeks," Beckett said. "I’d like to stick around 95 pitches the rest of spring," Beckett said. "The most important thing today was that I felt good and I finished all my pitches. I felt like I could throw any pitch in any count. That’s the feel you want to get by the end of spring training."

You bet it is. To be able to spot any pitch on your menu whenever and wherever you want is when a pitcher knows he's nearing where he wants to be. I've said this before and I'll say it again right now. The Boston Red Sox need Josh Beckett, and not for just the 2010 season. But the two sides have been working on a contract extension behind the scenes, out of the public eye. That's the way Beckett likes it. I fully expect the Red Sox to make this issue go away soon, very soon.

Yesterday we were all concerned because our Dustin "Pedey" Pedroia rolled his wrist and might be out for a while. Well, that's NOT the case. He's going to be playing on Friday. The X-RAYS were negative and he's feeling OK. I'll let him tell you in his own words. It's much better that way...

"I rolled my wrist. I'll take BP tomorrow, and then play the next day. That's it," he said. "I'm good. There's nothing. It's more spring training. It hurt at the time, and then they just took me out of the game. No big deal. It's sore. I mean I landed, I just landed weird. When I tried to get up I couldn't really get up," he said. "Then I tried to throw it and I almost killed our dugout. But I'm fine. I'll be all right. All the bones are there. They're all there," he said. "I just iced it today, that's it. It's just sore. No big deal. It's OK. We'll be all right. I'm a quick healer. ... I don't have that many bones, so I heal quick."

Pedey, I think you have the same number of bones as all of us but I'm very happy you're feeling better. Hey, it's spring training. Take a couple days off. There isn't any hurry. Here's Sox manager Tito Francona with his short but sweet reaction to the great news...

"It's nice to hear that," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said.

So it's good news coupled with more good news for that team we love to love. Have a terrific Thursday as we work our way towards the weekend and more NCAA basketball coverage. The UCONN women Huskies are in the SWEET 16 and are 4 victories away from their second consecutive championship. May the force be with them. Click on this post's title for more Red Sox something or other and as always, BE WELL. I'll see you tomorrow, if not sooner. See ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home