Tuesday, March 23, 2010

NESN Adds Today's Red Sox Game..Victor Martinez Must Stay

This is from the Boston Globe's EXTRA BASES,with my thanks...

"NESN will air tape-delayed coverage of Fox Sports North’s broadcast of todays’s Red Sox-Twins game immediately following NESN SportsDesk at 10:30 p.m."

I just thought you might want to know. The game will be tape-delayed because of NESN's Bruins coverage. Me? I'll be sleeping.

Now that the Minnesota Twins have locked up the services of the best catcher, hell, maybe the best player in all of major league baseball, Joe Mauer, there will be only one All Star catcher who will be eligible to file for free agency next year. His name is Victor Martinez and he plays for that team in Boston. It's vital that the Red Sox lock him up for more than the year he has left. How about a nice two year deal with an option for a third? VMart has said repeatedly that he DOESN'T WANT TO GO ANYWHERE. Here's Victor himself talking about the possible contract negotiations...

“Nothing so far,” Martinez said. “I don’t know, man. It’s all up to them. I just worry about myself, just keep working, be healthy and let things happen. I told them through my agent that I was going to be more than happy to do it before the season starts. We’ll see what happens.”

So it's up to you, Theo Epstein and John Henry. Make it happen. While you're at it, do the same for Josh Beckett. There are too many players on this 2010 Red Sox team who are here for the short term. Let's make sure the guys we need who COULD go to other clubs in 2011 a priority, as they should be. Martinez and Beckett. That's the way it is.

I want to take a minute to thank those who are my Constant Readers for stopping back every day to read my words. I don't know what I'd do without you. Right now readership is down but I think it will pick up to normal levels once the regular season begins. No matter what, I'll keep typing away, every morning or more often if Red Sox news warrants. You can count on me. Can I count on you? I hope so. Thanks again, click on this post's title for all the details of the double-sided Red Sox loss yesterday in Florida from WEEI dot com and as always, BE WELL.

2 Comments:

At 3/23/2010 10:33 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Hi Pete. So with Mauer averaging $23M per year for 8 years, what do you think Vic's agent is going after? A little less - 6 years at $12M per year (close to crazy Yankee money)?

If the team does offer a two year deal with an option for a third, what's it gonna cost them? How much more than his current $7M? I'm sure it depends on tying down Beckett and that expense. Plus the young catchers in the system have to be factored in, too.

It's easier for us to "sign'em" since it's not our money, so it will be interesting how it plays out.

 
At 3/24/2010 5:03 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

He's not in Mauer's class. I think they will sign him if he proves himself more fully behind the plate. He will, too.

Pedy was hurt yesterday. I have to read about it and post. Thanks, as always BFW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home