Thursday, April 01, 2010

Bernie Carbo...OH MY!

I read this article in today's Boston Globe and I could not NOT comment. You all remember Bernie Carbo's pinch hit three run home run that tied game six of the 1975 World Series and set the stage for Pudge Fisk's heroics. There were four outs to go when Bernie strode to the plate and clobbered a three run tater, tying the game. Boston, because of Pudge Fisk's home run over the wall too near the fair pole, won it and set up a game seven. Unfortunately, that was the last win of the season for the Good Guys. and extended the Series to an ultimate seventh game. I saw the first two games with my Mom in the second row right behind the first base bag. Loooie Tiant was unbelievably mesmerizing in winning game one and, until the rain delay in game two, the Spaceman, Bill Lee, had a one run lead and was pitching tremendously before the Red Sox lost game two. Oh, if there had been no rain delay. But it happened, and we have it as a part of Red Sox Nation history. What could have been wasn't, but OH, what a World Series! I cried, I wept while my three college roommates from New Jersey and I watched game seven down in Lancaster. Here's Bernie talking about the Bernie we did not know...

“I probably smoked two joints, drank about three or four beers, got to the ballpark, took some speed (amphetamines), took a pain pill, drank a cup of coffee, chewed some tobacco, had a cigarette, and got up to the plate and hit,’’ Carbo said. “I played every game high,’’ he said. “I was addicted to anything you could possibly be addicted to. I played the outfield sometimes where it looked like the stars were falling from the sky. I played baseball 17 years of my life and I don’t think I ever missed a day of being high. I threw away my career,’’ said Carbo, 62. ’’

So '67 & '75 & '86 came and went, as did our hopes and dreams of glory. But we had it all in 2004 and 2007. What could be better? The 2010 season is only three days away. I CAN'T WAIT. As always, BE WELL. See ya.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home