Friday, April 09, 2010

Ortiz Or Lowell? The Globe Asks Its Readers

More than 7700 readers have responded to a Boston Red Sox question over at the Boston Globe's "Extra Bases." I have strong feelings about it so allow me to run the question by you. Here it is...
***************

"No platoon. Pick one player. Should the Red Sox give Mike Lowell a shot at DH if David Ortiz struggles in April? Or give Ortiz more time to turn it around?"

I, of course, voted for giving Big Papi at least the month of April to get his "stuff" together at the plate. I thought the fans would agree with me. I was SURE! 100% dead cold positive. My goodness, the Red Sox have only played three games! But it seems Red Sox Nation is an impatient one. Here are the results. I'll have my comments after you read this tally...

Yes. Mike Lowell may prove to be a productive righthanded bat for the Sox if they just give him a chance at DH.
*76.1%*

No. You've got to give Big Papi a chance to work into a groove like last year.
*23.9%*
***************

It wasn't even close. To say I was surprised would be an utter understatement. The key words in the actual quotation are "no platoon." The ideal solution would be to have Papi bat against righties as DH and Mike Lowell to be the team's DH when a lefty is on the mound. Both would be effective "bat on the ball" DHers. I think that's a no brainer. What do you think? Leave me a comment or three and I'll respond to every one of 'em. Thanks. Three games. My goodness. In today's paper, the Boston Herald's Steve Silverman might have put it best...

"Three games in, both Ortiz and the Red Sox have work to do."

After three games, I think that's a little overblown but I guess many fans of the Boston Red Sox would disagree. I, for one, cannot agree...not right now. May 1st, yes, I'll know enough to state my opinion. But not right now, not after just three games, against the Yankees, no less. Of course, I'll be here every day until then so please stop in for your daily (if not more) dose of PETER'S RED SOX FOREVER. You can click on this post's title for more on the Boston Red Sox and as always and forever, BE WELL. See ya.

4 Comments:

At 4/09/2010 9:43 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

"like last year" is the killer. Nobody is willing to wait another 2 months into the season - not even you. I'm sure a lot of fans had their mind made up before the 3 games. I agree with you; if DO is struggling after April, do the platooning thing.

 
At 4/09/2010 1:37 PM, Blogger Section 36 said...

It's interesting that everybody asumes that Lowell will be an improvement. Has he shown anything latey that would suggest he's an upgrade at the plate? It's another case where the back-up quarterback is the most popular player on the team.

Papi's the DH, you have to let it ride. But, I'm sure that it will turn into a psudo-platoon. The Sox don't face a lot of lefty starters. So, I'm sure that Ortiz will happen to have his rest days when the team is facing a lefty.

 
At 4/10/2010 5:06 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Hi BFW...the righty/lefty thing BY FAR makes the only sense. Thanks.

That's all I ask, 36. Let Mikey bat around the lefties. Papi can take care of himself against righties.

Thanks to both of you. WE NEED A WIN TONIGHT but we're facing a mighty tough pitcher. But so are the Royals. CROOKED SOX NUMBERS...please!

 
At 4/11/2010 5:55 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

And we got 'em!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home