Saturday, July 24, 2010

Beckett Great In Return, Red Sox Win...A "Pedey Footnote"

The Boston Herald's Tony Massorotti posed this question yesterday regarding his spate of mid-season injuries...

"So what does all of this mean? It means Beckett’s legacy in Boston is now at stake. The brilliance of 2007 never will be forgotten – nor should it be – but Beckett’s bouts with injuries and ineffectiveness have counterbalanced his achievements. The Red Sox are relying on him again now."

Hello and good morning to you. In my opinion, Josh Beckett's Boston legacy is very intact after his performance last night in Boston's 2-1 victory over the Seattle Mariners (why do I want to say Pilots?). In his first start since injuring his back a long, long time ago, he was able to go 5 2/3 innings and gave up only one run on five hits, walking three and whiffing five. His control was a little "off" but that's only a natural side effect caused by a player's extended absence. He should get better with each and every start at the perfect time for Boston. They're in third place in the AL East and every game counts as much as ever. The bullpen in the form of Atchison, Bard and Papelbon put up goose eggs in the last 3 1/3 innings to secure the win. Bill Hall hit the go-ahead home run and Boston won its second straight game. Today, Lester will face Pauley as the Red Sox try for their third consecutive triumph. May the force be with them.

In other Red Sox news, Dustin Pedroia will tentatively return August 6-9 for a series with the NY Yankees. To tell you the truth, that's much sooner than I had expected. With the team's permission, he will remove his protective boot about a weeks early. I hope it's a good idea. Here he is...

“The fracture’s not going to be healed for six weeks. We’re trying to push it as much as possible. My biggest thing is if it’s not healed at six weeks, I don’t think it’s going to be so bad at playing at 5 weeks. What’s a couple of days? If I’m in the boot until next Friday, and I take it off, it’s going to be pretty stiff. Physically, I won’t be able to play right away. I'm hitting fine, I feel just like I did when I was playing. So that’s my biggest thing, just seeing the ball come in. Hopefully when I’m healed, I’ll just go out there and play.”

That's exactly what we need, Pedey. WE NEED YOU IN THERE EVERY DAY. On that bright note, I'll say this...have a great Saturday and a terrific weekend. Click on this post's title for more on Beckett's strong return and as always, BE WELL. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home