Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Papi's Pop, Buchholz' Arm Carry the Boston Red Sox To A Much Needed Win

Monday night in LA/Anaheim, the Boston Red Sox desperately needed a win. The Rays, 5 games in front of the Red Sox in the wild card race, won and they did it on the strength of a NO-HITTER by Matt Garza. Good for him and them. After a shaky first inning, Clay Buchholz allowed only one run in his seven innings. Hey, he was dominant! He only gave up five base hits and at one point retired 11 straight Halo batters. He had this to say after his seven inning beauty...

“In the third inning, I thought it would be another long day for the bullpen,” Buchholz said. “Fortunately, I was able to throw a couple changeups, just get the feel for it. I think the changeup brought the curve into the mix more. The fastball was good enough on both sides of the plate. The cutter was there, too.”

Big Papi David Ortiz gave his team all the power they needed, clubbing two taters (George Scott's descriptive term for a home run. How many of you remember Scottie?). Here's our resurgent Papi, just after last night's one-sided battle...

"Like I said the other day, man, you have to try to produce for our pitching,” Ortiz said. “Our pitching has been awesome lately. We just haven’t been able to score runs for them.”

Ya got that right, Papi! Late tonight, Lackey and Weaver will mash heads from the mound one-on-one. I hope the Red Sox runs keep coming and coming and...oh well, that's enough of that. I could keep going but there wouldn't be many of you still reading if I did.

Have a great Tuesday. I have to make this post a short one but if you'd like, simply click on this post's title for more Red Sox goodies. I appreciate every one of you and as always, BE WELL.

3 Comments:

At 7/27/2010 6:05 PM, Blogger Victoria said...

Well, last night was certainly good news, along with the Martinez news. So, now Buchholz and Martinez are back; just need little Pedey, Jacoby, and is there one other? Here's an interesting article that might make you worry initially, until you read it closer:
TV and radio ratings fall for Red Sox
There's a discussion about what this might really mean.

 
At 7/28/2010 6:08 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

HI TO YOU!! This morning I heard and wrote about NESN's free-fall plummet of late. With their revenue, I'm not worried. I hope the Sox keep playing and playing into the early Fall. Pedey will be back on schedulen ot a week earlier as he was hoping. Victoria, it's great to hear from you and I think you left out the Captain, Jason Varitek.

 
At 7/28/2010 6:10 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I meant "schedule" and "or." It's too early NOT to make spelling errors. When I warm up, I'll get better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home