Sunday, September 12, 2010

Oakland 4 Boston 3... Mr. Doubles' Last Year In Major League Baseball

The Red Sox left 11 men on base and were 3 for 15 with runners in scoring position. Do you think they won the ballgame against Oakland? Not on your life. They lost by a score of 4-3. Boston almost tied it in the ninth. Two out doubles by Victor Martinez and Adrian Beltre made it a one run game. Big Papi strode to the plate. At this point, the home plate umpire seemed to lose his sight completely, as if some evil ghoul had invisibly plucked out his eyes and ate them, spitting out just the pupils. I exaggerate a tad and that was a little gross (a horror blog, Peter?) but you get the picture. Papi struck out on a pitch that was clearly WAY off the plate. He was not happy. Either was I. Enough about that. Forget about the "eye image."

Here's some news that is no surprise. Mikey Lowell, a four time All-Star and Gold Glove winner, not to mention 2007 World Series MVP, will retire at the end of the 2010 season. Ever since he joined the Sox in the trade that also brought Josh Beckett to the Fenway Faithful, he has been a fan favorite. His last game at Fenway? His last at bat? Wow. I can't even begin to imagine the cheers. We love you, Mikey. Here he is...

“I’m retiring. I just don’t want to make it a song and dance because I don’t think that’s necessary, but if someone needs something official, yeah, I’m going to retire. This is going to be my last year.”

Live long and prosper, Mike Lowell. We've always loved you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home