Tuesday, November 09, 2010

ESPN Breaks Up Sunday Night Baseball Voices..George Steinbrenner On Hall Of Fame Ballot

In a big move, Jon Miller and Joe Morgan will not be the announcers of Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN any longer. Norby Williamson, executive VP of Bristol, Ct. based ESPN, explains...

“We’ve decided to make a change and introduce new voices and new perspective. Twenty one years is an eternity in this business. And today is about acknowledging the contributions they made to the franchise.”

Norby, it was twenty one years of continued excellence although Joe Morgan never let any of us forget that he was a member of Cincinnati's "Big Red Machine." I think Jon Miller is THE voice of baseball. ESPN asked him to hang on and do the radio broadcasts but he belongs on both. You hear his voice, you think baseball, even if he's reading the phone book. I mean it!

Former NY Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who did SO much to boost the popularity of baseball when it needed it most, will be on this year's Hall of Fame ballot. In my mind, HE SHOULD BE VOTED IN. This year. Most Boston Red Sox fans have hated him, like his team, for decades, myself included. But as he aged, my view of him grew less sharp. The edges dulled to a grudging admiration. Here's the commissioner of MLB, Bud Selig...

"Do I think George should be in the Hall of Fame? Of course I do. The sport has never been as popular as it is today. I give George a lot of credit for that. He changed the sport in a lot of ways."

You know, he's right. In my opinion, Mr. Steinbrenner will be a Hall of Famer on the very next ballot. Deservedly so.

I hope your Tuesday will be a great one. Please click on this post's title for more on the Red Sox and as always, BE WELL. Thanks for stopping in once again. You make me proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home