Friday, December 10, 2010

Final Thoughts...MLB Winter Meetings 2010

Hello on this 5 degree F. Friday morning, my birthday. Since it's SO cold out AND it's my birthday, I dragged a lap top outside and I'm just wearing swimming trunks. Why? I have no idea. Am I serious? Not on your life, but it IS my birthday today.

The Winter Meetings of Major League Baseball are basically over and we all have to agree on this...Theo's skills and John Henry's wallet improved the 2011 Boston Red Sox team immeasurably. They are the favorites not only in the AL East but to go all the way to the "promised land." One rival team executive said this about Mr. Epstein, expletive included...

"My God, Theo fucking dominated this week.”

I wish I knew who said that. I'd find him and shake his hand over a beer. He knows his baseball. Now the ball is in the court of the New York Yankees. They've upped their offer to pitcher Cliff Lee to seven (!) years, a contract length they said they never would approach. They did. Maybe the Yankee brass felt the pressure and are becoming desperate. I don't know that but I do know this. If they don't land the talented starter, they're looking at second place. Only the recent demise and depletion of the Tampa Bay Rays will keep them that high in the standings. But that's only conjecture. The 2011 season will tell all.

I hope my birthday will be a great Friday for you. I feel the same. Nadia has been back in Minnesota for four months and will be out there in the land of cold another three months. My brother and his family are also out of town. I might have a solo birthday night tonight. But I'll have a nice dinner somewhere and maybe even a glass of wine. How old am I, you ask? I'm older than you think but younger than you can imagine. If that age clue helps you in any way, please explain it to me! By the way, my pic is on my web page, standing with Nadia just up from the beach and Long Island Sound in Connecticut. Have a great day, click on this post's title for more on the Red Sox and as always, BE WELL. Be careful out there, you and me.

3 Comments:

At 12/10/2010 10:31 AM, Blogger Bosox Fan in Wichita said...

Ha, I thought you joined the polar bear club! Happy birthday, Pete. I'm guessing there's at least one 5 in your age. I hope you enjoy a thick steak & a nice Cabernet tonight, but by all means enjoy your day.

 
At 12/10/2010 3:06 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You're right about the "5." Are there two of them? Thank you for your kind birthday wishes. Pete

 
At 12/10/2010 3:07 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

No grey hair yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home