Sunday, December 05, 2010

Red Sox Are Oh So Close!

I've always been the first to admit when I'm wrong, as I was yesterday when I wrote that Jonathon Papelbon would be moving on as a part of the Adrian Gonzalez mega-deal. That's what the earliest reports hinted at and I read between the lines. I won't do that any more. Right now (it's very early Sunday morning), his name hasn't be mentioned at all. The Padres seem to want plenty of young talent. Who can blame them? According to Fox Sports, there is a 2pm EST deadline for Boston and San Diego to dot all the I's and cross all the T's. The two sides almost must agree on a lucrative contract extension. This is no "rent for a year" deal. Gonz is looking for eight years or so but the two sides will compromise it down just a little. But this will be a long term commitment for mucho dinero. The final terms would likely make it the largest by this ownership group and the second-largest in team history. It's almost too good to be true. Again, my apologies for yesterday's erroneous information.

Adrian Gonzalez garners praise from almost everyone in baseball. Here's the manager of the Tampa Bay Rays, Joe Maddon, for example...

“He’s a tremendous player. He’s a force from the left side, and given the way he hits, it’s almost like having another righthanded hitter in the lineup. If that happens, that’s a tough move for our division.’

He'll be batting right in the middle of the lineup, near Youk, Pedey and Papi and improve Boston's offensive attack beyond measure. The doctors gave him a clean bill of health yesterday and said his surgically repaired shoulder "should be just fine." And Youkilis can "live" at first base or third with his stellar infield defense. A perfect fit? Oh yes. My goodness, oh yes!

You can click on this post's title for all the latest info from Red Sox dot com. Enjoy. As always, BE WELL and have a terrific Sunday. The UCONN women go for win number 86 in a row today at the XL Center in Hartford. That's what I'll be doing from 1pm to 3pm EST. Hey, it's been a great weekend for the Sox and I'm a very happy member of Red Sox Nation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home