Monday, December 27, 2010

Too Many Lefties For Red Sox? Blizzard Update

First of all, I'm still here in spite of the unrelenting snow and the 60 plus MPH howling winds that blow the snow all over the place, making measuring the white stuff impossible. I, unlike so many others in the now white state of Connecticut, never lost power. That would have been tough. It's only 20 degrees right now at 5:50am EST and the wind chill? I don't even want to go there. But all is warm and nice from my living room vantage point. INSIDE. The precipitation will slowly wind down around midday. The wind? Who knows? But I have a little Boston Red Sox baseball to write about. I know, I know, it's been awhile but lets face it, the Christmas/New Years Day period has always been a slow time for MLB news of any kind. As it should be.

Boston GM Theo Epstein did a bang-up job remaking his team (with the help of John Henry's seemingly bottomless wallet). Here's what one prominent MLB scout had to say about that..

“They had a good winter. They will be the team to beat in the AL, unless the Yankees can address their pitching in some way.”

I just read an article in the Boston Herald and in it Theo Epstein addresses a fact that so many critics and fans have brought up. That would be this...do the Boston Red Sox have too many lefties in their starting lineup? They'll start six of 'em. Jacoby Ellsbury leading off, Carl Crawford, probably in the two spot, the unrelenting Kevin Youkilis, Adrian Gonzalez, Big Papi David Ortiz and JD Drew, who Mike Cameron will probably start for when the Sox play a team that's starting an "ace" lefty. Youk pummels lefties, as did Adrian Gonzalez last year. No problems there. Papi has gotten better at solving the shift and I hope he will continue. The bullpen? With Theo's addition of Bobby Jenks and the dependable Dan Wheeler, WITH Bard and Paps, Boston is now a World Series contender. They should battle it out toe to toe with the pin stripers all season long. What else could we ask for? The answer...nuttin'.

I hope your Monday, the last of 2010, will be a great one. There will be many people here who won't venture out on the road just yet. That's a good thing because the state plows are furiously working to clear the roads while the wind works against them. Mother Nature packs a potent punch. If you click on this post's title you'll be zapped to the web site of the Hartford Courant for all the news here in my cold neck of the woods. The blizzard pictures are worth the price of admission all by themselves. As always, BE WELL and be careful out there. If you live in southern New England, don't take any chances on the roads. There's still another 4-6 inches of whiteness to go. I'll talk to you soon. See ya.

2 Comments:

At 12/27/2010 1:48 PM, Blogger Conor Duffy said...

Hi, I found your blog and it's very interesting, with lots of good information.I also have a blog, which you can find at http://conor-soxrox.blogspot.com, if you want to check it out.

 
At 12/27/2010 2:35 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks. I like the name of your blog! I'll check it out in a couple minutes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home