Sunday, March 27, 2011

UCONN Men Going The Final Four

Nine games in 19 games, all games tournament play caliber. The result? Nine wins for the University of Connecticut men's basketball team. Kemba Walker, who has everyone watching his every move, had 20 points and Jeremy Lamb 19 as the UCONN Huskies defeated Arizona by a score of 65-63. Coach Jim Calhoun literally could not watch as Jamelle Horne attempted an uncontested 3 point shot with just a tick left on the clock. The game was on the line but the ball clunked off the back rim. Final Four here we come! As inspiring as these nine victories have been to me, they meant SO much to the coach of the Huskies, Jim Calhoun. Here he is with high praise from a Hall of Famer head coach. I swear he had tears in his eye when he said...

"Never did I imagine a team winning nine games in tournament play in 19 days. These brothers, these young guys, have just given me a thrill beyond compare. Our march in the past nine games, I haven't experienced anything like this."

Neither have I, coach, neither have I. The Connecticut star, Kemba Walker...

"This is no time to be tired. We're trying to get as far as possible. We want to win this whole thing."

I remember jumping for joy in 1999 when the men last won it all. I want them to do it again. I know there are three other basketball powers ready to begin play next week but you know who I'm rooting for.

Nothing to watch today? The UCONN women take a step towards their Final Four at noon on ESPN 2 and ESPN 2 HD. Their opponent will be Georgetown. Look for them to advance. Sure, there are three really tough teams standing in their way to yet another championship, but led by Maya Moore and her teammates, they won't go down without a fight. Count on their will to win, just like the UCONN men.

Click on the title of this post for my favorite sportswriter, the Hartford Courant's very own Jeff Jacobs, and his great Sunday writings. I hope the Red Sox bullpen can get it's act together. I'm talking about yesterday's Sox game. As always, BE WELL and enjoy your Sunday. Thank you.

2 Comments:

At 3/29/2011 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2004 was when they last won it all

 
At 3/29/2011 3:47 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Thanks...I was looking at my '99 poster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home