Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Boston 6 Yankees 4

Jon Lester, who had two extra days off between starts, gutted it out for six up & down innings but in the end he was good enough as the Boston Red Sox earned a share of first place with a 6-4 victory in the Big Apple. Here he is...

“Executed some pitches, minimized the damage, which was good, and just tried to get these guys back in the dugout as quick as possible. I didn’t do a great job of that, but with their lineup, you try to do it as quick as you can."

Lester became the first AL eight game winner. Big Papi David Ortiz hit a two run tater and continued his tremendous 2011. Jonathon Papelbon, in front of his all-time idol, Mo Rivera, became the fastest pitcher to reach 200 saves. He did it in 359 games. Congats, Paps. Here he is...

“I’m excited about it. It’s something that I take pride in. This game will definitely hold an extra little special something in my heart. I’ll think about this for a little but tonight and tomorrow just move forward. Just keep doing what I’m doing.’’

He retired the Yankees in the ninth to earn that save and help his team enjoy a share of first place. I haven't said much about NY starter Freddy Garcia because the less said, the better. He was that bad. He was humiliated in front of 48,000 plus fans, much to my delight. But today's another day and the two rivals begin game #2 tonight shortly after 7pm EDT. It'll be Wakefield versus Burnett. The way Boston has been thumping and bumping their foes, I'd go with them. But I always do!

Thanks for stopping in, click on this post's title for more about last night's game, including video, and as always, BE WELL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home