Monday, March 20, 2006

Bronson Bombshell!!

It's goodbye to Bronson Arroyo. From the Herald.............."Sox ship Arroyo to Reds for Pena.
By Tony Massarotti
Boston Herald Baseball Columnist and General Sports Columnist
Monday, March 20, 2006 - Updated: 12:10 PM EST

FORT MYERS - Blessed with a surplus of pitching, the Red Sox today consummated trade talks with the Cincinnati Reds on a deal that will bring outfielder Wily Mo Pena to Boston.
According to sources, the Sox have sent right-hander Bronson Arroyo to the Reds in exchange for the 24-year-old Pena, who batted .254 with 19 home runs and 51 RBI last season. The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Pena has been especially effective against left-handers during his career and will likely serve as a complement to the left-handed-hitting Trot Nixon, who has had difficulty agfainst left-handers during his career.

**Peter here. This deal makes sense, as Trot is near harmless against left handed pitching, and his "getting older" body will benefit from the rest. And Pena's bat has pop, pop that we will need. Great job by Theo and company. I wish Bronson Arroyo the best, but better him than Matt Clement. By a long shot. Wells too.

5 Comments:

At 3/20/2006 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Better him than Matt Clement"

I like Clement a lot. But get back to me on this when Clement does his yearly dive after the all-star break.

This deal isn't horrible but it isn't great either. The part that bothers me most about it is Theo knowing full-well the only reason Bronson took that contract was because he wanted to stay...and Theo taking advantage of that.

I never thought Theo was a snake. I do now.

 
At 3/20/2006 2:55 PM, Blogger Iain said...

Yeah, so much for the cut-rate, home-town discount signed with a gentleman's agreement...

 
At 3/20/2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

You both are right in that baseball is not always fair. Bronson was led to believe he would not be traded, but his signing the deal made him the most attractive one to go. So you're both right in part, but baseball is a business and I firmly believe the FO (not just Theo) did what they thought was best for the club. I still think adding Roger would enhance the chance of another World Series victory. Greatly enhance, but I'm not going out on that limb today. Thanks for the comments guys. And Cyn, am I glad you didn't take my other comment at jere's the wrong way. I'm too nice a guy to diss my friends.

 
At 3/20/2006 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am already working toward not out and out hating Theo...though it might take time...but if they sign Clemens and all his baggage, I'm probably not going to watch the team for the rest of the season.

(And I didn't take what you said personally, Peter. :-))

 
At 3/20/2006 3:33 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

Clemens is such a long shot there's a better chance I'll be on the mound this season, if only as a streaker!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home